Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubi Shocks vs Sport Shocks

Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiawahgolf
Getting ready to install the AEV 2" budget lift and was curious if I would be well served to pick up some Rubi take offs while I am installing the kit to replace my 2013 JKU shocks? Is there a noticeable difference in the two and will the Rubi shocks provide a better on road ride for my DD? Thanks!
not sure how everyone got on the spring topic. To answer your question: go with the Rubi take offs. I did the same when i put my BB on and noticed a difference. I'm assuming you are currently running "sport" shocks. The Rubi shocks are much more beefy than the sports. you can fin them all over craigslist and ebay for about $100.

FYI - not sure if the AEV comes with shock extensions, but something to consider
Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep305
Yes for sure! 100%. Check the last two numbers on each. You might have the info on the inside driver door jam.
why would the spring number matter if he is considering Rubi Shocks?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You would be better of buying new shocks of the correct length to go with your lift and gain the extra supension travel, if you run the factory sized shocks will have lost 2" of flex.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You would be better of buying new shocks of the correct length to go with your lift and gain the extra supension travel, if you run the factory sized shocks will have lost 2" of flex.
Agreed... You will need shock extensions for this to work properly. For the price of the shocks and then another $75 or so for front/rear extensions, you might as well just buy the correct length shock.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went that exact route back when I put a 2.5" budget boost on. I picked up some nearly new Rubi shocks for $65 I believe. Extensions for $75. If I went back and did it again would I get the Rubi shocks? No. It did reduce brake dive (not that I really cared about that). They ride slightly firmer. I could see how they might work better off-road as they are more pressurized and would probably provide slightly better tire contact.

Overall, I walked away from it saying that it wasn't worth the time and cost. That said, it is hard to justify all new shocks for such an inexpensive lift. I'd either leave the shocks as is, or look for someone selling a set of used extensions. Upgrade to nice shocks when you upgrade to a suspension lift.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE="janders82;3852190"]

Last edited by Jeep305; 03-04-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

i hate my rubie shocks

Quick Reply: Rubi Shocks vs Sport Shocks