Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

"Rubi" Performance Shock - How much lift can they handle w/o extension brackets?

Old 04-17-2015, 02:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Rubi" Performance Shock - How much lift can they handle w/o extension brackets?

2015 Willy's Wheeler

I am shopping for a 2.5" - 3.5" kit and I see some have "extension brackets" for the shocks and some don't - I know it varies as to what type of JK you have as to the factory shocks and how much they can handle, so i have been weighing kits based on reviews, parts included vs adding to the kit myself, etc...

But not really knowing what my shocks are capable of, so I figured I would ask - can they handle lets say the RK Stock Mod kit w/o extensions?

My end goal for now is a kit that will handle 35" on my stock Willy Wheels (w/spacers) that will not try and rip-off my fenders if/when they flex in while wheelin'...

Thanks JKF...
Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You can run factory shocks with about 5" of lift but you won't have any down travel. Clearance for fenders is going to be a bump stop issue not shocks. You can add 2" of lift and run the factory shocks without extensions but they will still compress to the same point as with factory coils unless you extend the bump stops by the amount of the new tire height above the axle. Adding longer bump stops to factory coils without extensions will result in less articulation then the factory set up. Installing extensions the same length as the new bump stops will move the shocks down so you maintain the factory compressed/extended ratio and maintain the same amount of factory articulation.

When running a lift most will got with a longer body shock instead of extenders so they can increase the articulation of the jeep moving from a 10" travel shock to a 11"-12" to increase the amount of articulation. This added articulation will be all droop so you need to look at clearance on pinch seams and driveline angles.

IF you are just driving around on the small lift and 35's you can get away with running the factory shocks, if you are planning on wheeling it I would at least get extensions.

Good luck and if you read the stickies you will find more info on lifts and requirements.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You can run factory shocks with about 5" of lift but you won't have any down travel. Clearance for fenders is going to be a bump stop issue not shocks. You can add 2" of lift and run the factory shocks without extensions but they will still compress to the same point as with factory coils unless you extend the bump stops by the amount of the new tire height above the axle. Adding longer bump stops to factory coils without extensions will result in less articulation then the factory set up. Installing extensions the same length as the new bump stops will move the shocks down so you maintain the factory compressed/extended ratio and maintain the same amount of factory articulation.

When running a lift most will got with a longer body shock instead of extenders so they can increase the articulation of the jeep moving from a 10" travel shock to a 11"-12" to increase the amount of articulation. This added articulation will be all droop so you need to look at clearance on pinch seams and driveline angles.

IF you are just driving around on the small lift and 35's you can get away with running the factory shocks, if you are planning on wheeling it I would at least get extensions.

Good luck and if you read the stickies you will find more info on lifts and requirements.

Thanks Dirtman - I have read the write-up and do appreciate the info you posted here... Yeah I understand the shocks will not impact the actual fender clearance, but I was just curious about the actual travel they would have when lifting and with extensions vs upgrading to a longer shock which you answered perfectly and now it all makes a little more sense to me now...

Quick Reply: "Rubi" Performance Shock - How much lift can they handle w/o extension brackets?