Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubi or not?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the timeline of all the mods the OP mentioned, a advantage of the rubi is financing. Yes an X with D44 front and all those mods will be about at the level of a rubi (minus the TC).

By getting the rubi you get many of those same options (lockers, a "better" gear ratio) and you can finance them. I didn't have thousands of dollars to spend on ARB lockers, 5.13s, etc. off hand. But over the next 4 years I can easily afford those additions to my car payment.

If you have cash on had to do all those mods right off hand, then go for an x. But if you're going to have a lot of time between mods, then go for the rubi so you get a highly capable vehicle and many of the mods are essentially financed.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubicons are nice, So are X's with all the proposed plans you have too...good arguments on both sides already here, good luck let us know which way you go, either way ENJOY!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
I would tend to agree, except that now a days you can get a Rubi for just a few thousand more than I paid for my X. When I bought my X, the $32k Rubi had another $5k tacked on by the dealer just because people would pay the price. Now I have seen rubis for $26 and $27k, which makes it very tempting. If I were buying today I would get a Rubi.

I think if he got a Rubi he would not worry so much about lockers, but he would have the Dana 44 up front and the 4:1 transfer case. Throw in a lift and some wheels and tires and your good to go. The only real advantage to a Rubi is the Dana 44s, lockers and the 4:1 transfer case. For just a few thousand more that may be worth it.

If he is bent on changing axles, lockers, etc, etc, then the only advantage is the transfer case. Then no, its not worth it, but he will spend a few thousand dollars on an Advanced adapters rubi Crawler or something anyway.

I agree with what you say, except that you can get a Rubi so cheap now.
Agreed Got my Rubi for 26k
Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is still one question that has yet to be asked to the OP.

How do you plan on using your Jeep?

If you are not going to wheel it, a Rubi is a waste of money. Also, keep in mind that with some types of wheeling, the xfer case of the rubi is a liability, not an advantage.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

I've beat this up quite a few times myself and you just can't get around the cost of the 4x transfer case. If that's not something that's important for you, then go with the X.

The other thing that isn't mentioned is that despite potentially yanking some stuff you paid for on a Rubicon, they still have value on the used market. You can't get money for the Steelies for an X, the tires, nor the Springs. Not a whole lot of cash, but it definitely helps offset the cost difference.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by seairland
Hmmm, I can appreciate that point. Although I have sold off half of my "X" stuff. Even the tow hitch receiver from putting on a LOD bumper.

But I got $400 for my stock wheels.
$50 for the tow hitch.
$90 for my Teraflex disco's (came with lift but put Currie Anti-rock on)
You did pretty well on those wheels if they were steelies and got the going rate for the aluminum wheels.

Again, it all comes down to the transfer case. That's where I always get stuck when I weigh things out for my impending new purchase (it'll be great to be a two Jeep household) and what bums me out about not having bought a Rubicon in the first place. If you don't see the value in the Transfer case then by all means buy an X. If you want that 4x transfer case, going with anything but a Rubicon is going to cost you more.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

i was in your shoes a month ago. i was also trying to decide which way to go and ended up picking the Rubi. The deciding factor was price. I tried to figure out what it would cost to make an X or a Sahara into a Rubi and what each would cost new. The RUbi won hands down when it came to shopping. I got a brand new '09 Rubi 6 spd 4 dr with the Lifetime warranty for the same price as a stripped down Sahara. Made my decision REAL easy.

Like the other great posts above described, just adding a Dana 44 up front and some lockers would price an X or Sahara way above a Rubi. And you will be getting the 4:1 T-Case and E-Disco's for free The stock BFG Mud tires blew me away in both on and off road manners and performance. Another Rubi bonus!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

I was also making this decision recently, thought I was all set on a Sahara - posted some question on various jeep forums to get some input on upgrading to larger tires and 80% of the responses were "Get a rubicon instead".
I plan to keep this vehicle for around 10 years and with all the upgrades I started to add to my wish list the cost difference between an X or Sahara vs the Rubi over 10 years was negligible.

Also you should stay away from these forums if cost is any issue... I went from a Sahara with plans to get 33" tires to a Rubicon, I've already ordered Shrockworks front & rear bumpers & rails, I've got my local 4x4 shop lined up to do a Teraflex lift, new wheels & tires (35's), new drive shafts, new gears, adj trackbars. Plus I'm doing a bunch of little stuff like SC flashpaq, floor mats, a cb, additional lights, etc.

If I didn't check these forums I probably would have bought a Sahara and some new tires and been out $28K; now I'm in for around $40K or more this year alone (I don't want to know the actual $) and my wishlist for next year is already started.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
if you plan on changing all that stuff "now" then the only advantage to the rubi is the 4:1 transfer case. If it's going to take you a few years to get to that point, starting with a Rubicon would put you ahead of the game in my opinion.
Agreed.

Personally, I have had a very enjoyable summer modding my Wrangler X with the $10K I saved over a Rubicon. Now I have a unique JK that's all my own and it's no less capable than many similar Rubis (at this point, it's driver, not rig).

Matter of fact, when we trail-vacationed in Colorado this past August, we hooked up with two Rubis in Leadville (two Unlimiteds; one bone stock, the other nicely modded) and I went everywhere they went and negotiatied the bigggest obstacles on Wheeler Lake (they took the bypass).

FWIW
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Default wish

i wish i would of bought the Rubicon. tthen i would of had d44's and lockers front and rear. other than that. i'm happy with my X. just have to add alot more tothem to equal the rubicon. oh well. if you have the money to drop on all the lockers and gears right when you get the X. cool. if not. get the rubicon and mod it.

Quick Reply: Rubi or not?