Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubi or not?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi or not?

I searched and could not really find an answer to this...

I am a newby to the jeep world. I am researching and getting ready to get my JK Unlimited in the next month or two.

If I am going to put a 3" lift and 35's or a 4" and 37's with control arms and all the bells and whistles short of a long arm, and later down the road 4.88 or 5.13 gears, on board air, and ARB Lockers is there still any reason to get a Rubi over a Sahara or X? or should I still be looking for a Rubi?

Any Opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you much!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you plan on changing all that stuff "now" then the only advantage to the rubi is the 4:1 transfer case. If it's going to take you a few years to get to that point, starting with a Rubicon would put you ahead of the game in my opinion.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the great opinion by GGC... if you have that cash, already scooped a shop that could do all the work (or you have committed the time to do so), get an X and put everything else...

If you are new to this, it makes more sense to start with a 'proven' platform *the rubi*, and from then figure out what you really want...
Old 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

And if you plan on 37's someday, you'll want the Dana 44 front axle in the Rubi.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Junkie

Take the Rubi. You will save money because you will already have:

- Dana 44 front diff
- E-discos
- True loc rear and front lockers
- Rock trac 4:1 transfert case
Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are sooooo many advantages to a Rubi that if you have the $$$ to do it you'll have a very capable rig from the git go.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi

I vote RUBICON
Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

I also vote the rubi. That is the route I went, however, I was relatively new to wheeling, all I knew was that I wanted to do it and build as I went. It's an amazing base from which to work from and EXTREMELY capable out of the box. I just now (after wheeling it for a year) put on a 3" lift and 35's and that's pretty much it outside of additional protection and recovery gear. I figure this will last me some time into the future as well.

Big fan of the D44's in F&R. Never have had any issues with the lockers F&R. E-Disco is so convenient, and the transfer case has been unstoppable in many areas when I compare it to some of our older brethren out there.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seairland
I hate to be one of the only voices of non-rubi, but if the guy is going to make the changes he's stating, its a waste. And I speak from experience.

He'll waste his money on the e-locker, when he's going to put ARB lockers in.

He'll waste his money on the e-disco because there are better products out there that are less money. And products that aren't going to fail (how many people out there have had their e-disco fail?) such as the Currie Anti-rocks, or, just a knob type sway bar disconnect (Teraflex ST for example) that won't fail.

Admittedly, if he wants the 4.1 transfer case or the D44 up front, that's all replaceable as well for the cost difference between an X and a Rubi.

Sorry, but if he's changing all this stuff out, he doesn't need a Rubi. As a matter of fact, I think his X will be better than a Rubi without the added expense when he is done.

Which is exactly what I think of my X... I've made it better than a Rubi. Without spending the extra dough..
I somewhat covered this in my initial reply to the poster. Time frame for modifications I think is important. It also depends on what you pay. Friend of mine spent the same on a identical optioned X 2door as I did on my 2 door Rubicon 6 months later. So, dollar for dollar was the "rubi not worth it"? .....depends on what you pay for it...
Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seairland
I hate to be one of the only voices of non-rubi, but if the guy is going to make the changes he's stating, its a waste. And I speak from experience.

He'll waste his money on the e-locker, when he's going to put ARB lockers in.

He'll waste his money on the e-disco because there are better products out there that are less money. And products that aren't going to fail (how many people out there have had their e-disco fail?) such as the Currie Anti-rocks, or, just a knob type sway bar disconnect (Teraflex ST for example) that won't fail.

Admittedly, if he wants the 4.1 transfer case or the D44 up front, that's all replaceable as well for the cost difference between an X and a Rubi.

Sorry, but if he's changing all this stuff out, he doesn't need a Rubi. As a matter of fact, I think his X will be better than a Rubi without the added expense when he is done.

Which is exactly what I think of my X... I've made it better than a Rubi. Without spending the extra dough..

I would tend to agree, except that now a days you can get a Rubi for just a few thousand more than I paid for my X. When I bought my X, the $32k Rubi had another $5k tacked on by the dealer just because people would pay the price. Now I have seen rubis for $26 and $27k, which makes it very tempting. If I were buying today I would get a Rubi.

I think if he got a Rubi he would not worry so much about lockers, but he would have the Dana 44 up front and the 4:1 transfer case. Throw in a lift and some wheels and tires and your good to go. The only real advantage to a Rubi is the Dana 44s, lockers and the 4:1 transfer case. For just a few thousand more that may be worth it.

If he is bent on changing axles, lockers, etc, etc, then the only advantage is the transfer case. Then no, its not worth it, but he will spend a few thousand dollars on an Advanced adapters rubi Crawler or something anyway.

I agree with what you say, except that you can get a Rubi so cheap now.

Quick Reply: Rubi or not?