Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rubi with 4.10 6spd and 35" re-gear or leave it?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rubi_kong
About to plunge into taller tires, likely 35" on my rubicon with 6spd....can I get buy without a re-gear? Not towing, not rock crawling, just pavement pounding with weekend trailing.
Originally Posted by 07crawler
I'm running 35's with the 6 speed on a 2 door with 4;10's..it's not bad the only reason i might re-gear is for crawling and not until i go to 37's next year
You regear because the highway performance with larger tires suffers. I had 4.10s and 33s and while it worked most of the time, whenever I was driving into a headwind or uphill at Interstate speeds, it sucked bad. At no time have I ever thought, "I need to regear because my off-road performance sucks!" That's just not how it works. With an auto, for those who have, the situation is even worse. At least with the six speed I could run in third gear to hold best possible speed on the Interstate. Yes, third gear sometimes!!!! I now have 4.88s and 35s and I am happy.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubi_kong
About to plunge into taller tires, likely 35" on my rubicon with 6spd....can I get buy without a re-gear?......
Yes, you can get by. But, you and your jeep would be happier with lower gears. If you are just driving around on 35s for looks and will put it back to factory to sell it someday, leave the stock gears. With a 6 speed, you just loose 6th gear and have to give it lots of fuel to get started in 1st.

If you are interested there are hundreds of threads on this. Planman has a great thread with plenty of great (correct) info. In short, getting the correct R&P gearing for your use will save fuel and increase the fahrvergnügen factor.

Quick Reply: rubi with 4.10 6spd and 35" re-gear or leave it?