Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubbing - Curious on ways to fix it.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing - Curious on ways to fix it.

I have searched the threads to find an answer but nothing so far.

I am running a JK unlimited with 37's and a 4inch long arm Teraflex kit and have rubbing on the rear tires when flexed... I think they are rubbing on the front side of the tire from the back lower portion of the door. It is the section of the back door that extends beyond the fender flare.

My question is: Can you simply cut/remove that section to prevent further rubbing? If not, what other solutions would you reccommend? perhaps a body lift or spacer?

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its waht im thinking about, it is rubbing on the corner metal. i took a sawzall and cut the corner off, made it into a rounded curve, had not had issues since. but if not mistaken, thats something called a pinch seam(not sure if that is corrrect) so u have to be carefull not to cut too far or u end up with an open area of metal to insde the body. i have heard of guys folding it oe cutting it then welding it shut. hope this helps. i will try to get a picture of mine to make sure we are on the ame page here.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:07 AM
JK Junkie

search "pinch seam mod" and also if you are running ruicon rails those will have to be cut as well
Old 04-17-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as they said before there is even a wright up on this
Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks

I appreciate the input - I believe we are talking about the same thing here. I looked at it closely and it appears "safe" to cut off. I only need to shave off 2-3 inches to have the room I need.

I apologize for a duplicate post, but I really did try searching for an answer. I look through again to find more info.

Thanks again for the quick feedback and response.

Also, any input on spacers fixing the problem as well?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepairforce
I appreciate the input - I believe we are talking about the same thing here. I looked at it closely and it appears "safe" to cut off. I only need to shave off 2-3 inches to have the room I need.

I apologize for a duplicate post, but I really did try searching for an answer. I look through again to find more info.

Thanks again for the quick feedback and response.

Also, any input on spacers fixing the problem as well?
The best thing is to cut it off.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Cut it off in Moab

I took my jeep to moab to test the new lift and tires... found that I was rubbing on the pinch seam and cut it off with a pipe/metal saw.

I also had to cut through the rubicon guards.

I would guess that this doesn't effect the structural integrity of the jeep? And does anyone have a recommendation for sealing the cracked paint from the saw?

Quick Reply: Rubbing - Curious on ways to fix it.