Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RR XHD Rear Bumper Question

Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the looks of the R/R, but my front worked great, but the rear had the same problem your finding. I am so darn anal that it drove me nuts. I eventually sold the 09 and went with OrFab on my 2011.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just do it

Think of the top of the spindle being tilted slightly toward the latch. If you push down from 180 degees it straightens the spindle and the carrier closes smoothly. I left mine slightly touching for support and stability. Try it, it works. My spindle was also assembled but had to be disassembled to pack the bearings with grease. I really don't remember about the latch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	002..jpg
Views:	81
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	127339
Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that makes sense. I thought the same thing about hwo tight it was, no rattle here for sure. I will just use the new spindle they are sending, be here WED. I am going to install this bumper for like the fourth time. But, if it makes it straight, it is worth it. I can't handle the gap, plus, something to do in the garage while everyone else in my hosue sleeps
Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

What are everyone's thoughts on easy (or hard) this bumper is to open and close....and keep closed?

I know the Smitty's have a tendency to come unlatched, but how is this mechanism and does it hold tight when closed?

REALLY falling for this bumper over the Poison Spyder (simply based on price and the need to mount a spare). Feel naked without a 5th tire, and I don't think the extra time to save for the PSC is a good idea to run without a spare.

So, how does the latch system work on this bumper and does it hold after a bunch of uses? Also, does it integrate into the tailgate or a separate step to open both?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cbass1187
What are everyone's thoughts on easy (or hard) this bumper is to open and close....and keep closed?

I know the Smitty's have a tendency to come unlatched, but how is this mechanism and does it hold tight when closed?

REALLY falling for this bumper over the Poison Spyder (simply based on price and the need to mount a spare). Feel naked without a 5th tire, and I don't think the extra time to save for the PSC is a good idea to run without a spare.

So, how does the latch system work on this bumper and does it hold after a bunch of uses? Also, does it integrate into the tailgate or a separate step to open both?
The latch is top notch. You lock it into place and then put a pin in that keeps the latch from opening. With my carrier, it will not accidentaly come unlatched, basically impossible. It doesn't integrate into the tailgate. You open the carrier, and then open the gate. The carrier also has a pin that locks it into place while open preventing it from coming back onto you or opening too far and hitting the Jeep.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

can someone please meassure the bars on the RR tire carrier and tell me what they are, I am looking to mount Jerry cans and an over the spare tire rack. rock hard stated the bars have to be 2x2. I have the bumper but not the tire carrier. I want to know if i can add the mentioned items before gettign the tire carrier. any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

I can measure for you tonight if no one else does it first. it ook it off to prepare for my new pieces from RR.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cbass1187

The tire carrier seems stout. It includes some plates that compress your factory bump stops after some modification. It also includes a plastic wedge under the latch to keep things tight. Mine was too tight and that is going to be fixed, but there was absolutely no rattle. i think that I will really like it once i get it on there correctly. You can't use the 3rd brake light houseing on a 2010, if that matters. It calls for the removal of the light from the stock spare tire mount, but in 2010, it is one welded piece. Oh well, I did not want to do that electrical procedure anyway to run it
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Jedi

OK, got my new pasenger side bracket and spindle housing. The newbracket completely corrected the gap on the passenger side!! Problem is now that the drivers side bracket, two of the threaded holes will no longer let a bolt start threading. I guess I ahve put this thing on and off too many times. Now, as long as RR will send me a new drivers side bracket, I will have a bumper. I ahve only installed this thing about 6 times, so what is one more??

Quick Reply: RR XHD Rear Bumper Question