Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RR xhd & epi 9.0 problem?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR xhd & epi 9.0 problem?

I installed the Rugged Ridge bumper w/winch mount and tried to install the Superwinch epi 9.0. Before trying to bolt it down, the cable was rubbing the bottom of the cable opening. Ok, so I'll have to either trim the opening or raise the winch. Then I started looking at the winch mounting bolt holes and found that in order to bolt this winch onto this bumper I'll have to trim a 1x5 notch on the drivers side of the top deck so that the winch will sit down and the brake housing wouldn't hit. Has anyone ever encountered this or am I just very lucky? I don't have a problem with cutting on the new bumper but is this normal?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Same issue I had - took the sawzall and grinder to the driver side to make the opening large enough to fit it - it was either that or drill 4 new holes for the winch. Also had to use the sawzall to notch out the top tab on the front bumper mount on the jeep itself after opening the XHD bumper to accept the epi 9.0.

Make sure you repaint the bumper where you cut/grind it before mounting the winch as once the winch is in there it's hard to repaint.

Sorry,
Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue and just drilled 4 new holes, it was easier than triming and the winch should come with a template.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Well I feel better now. You know, it's like misery likes company. To me it's not a big deal. Did you have to open up the fairlead hole also?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
I had the same issue and just drilled 4 new holes, it was easier than triming and the winch should come with a template.
I thought about that but the drum would not be centered on the fairlead opening. Of course it really isn't that much.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Did you have to open up the fairlead hole also?
I need to, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

jrock776 had the same problem and documented it with pictures. He cut the same notch and cut a wider opening for the winch cable. Here is the link.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/installed-rugged-ridge-xhd-superwinch-epi-9-0-a-81259/
Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 PM
JK Newbie

I did some measuring and found the top deck opening isn't equal on both sides. So after cutting on the drivers side, the hole for the winch well is now centered. Go figure.

Quick Reply: RR xhd & epi 9.0 problem?