Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RR JK mirror relocation brackets

Old 02-23-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR JK mirror relocation brackets

Anyone else not happy with the results of the install? The factory mirror post are tapered, the new brackets are not. It took some time at the grinder to mill the factory post down to where it would fit flush with the bracket. Then I installed the passenger side mirror without grinding it first. Good thing, the instructions claim (partial blockage of the mirror), their idea of partial is somewhere in the 90-95% range. The end result is that I have the driver side on the new bracket and the passenger side on the factory bracket. It looks a little wierd from a distance (but don't we all) but yielded the functionality that I was looking for, escpecialy for the price. They are easy enough to install that when the doors so come off, the passenger side will be swapped to the window bracket.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

I have the passenger one on the bracket and put one of those small wideview stick-on mirrors on the bottom corner of it since all I need to use that mirror for is checking if there is a car to my left before changing lanes. A plus to them is that I dont have that water stain drainage thing comming out of the bottom of the mirror bracket. I'm not sure what you had to grind on it though.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

do you guys have some pictures of them installed? some from the drivers seat as well?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Anyone have trouble with the mirrors not fitting in the new bracket holes?

Any tips on getting them in? I'm kind of paranoid about shoving too hard, breaking the shaft and having to buy a new mirror. (I even had the bright idea of using the bolt to 'screw' it down into place, but just stripped off the bottom threads...)
Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

I was wondering how they worked. I saw that in a ad in magazine or quadratec Ithink ... they were just big black circles ... so hideous looking!

Thats stopped us from buying the brackets to relocate our mirrors. I am jonesing to get my doors off though. Had my top off yesterday and still is.... the jeep just isn't running now ... figures! After wheeling.

Anyways though ..... glad to hear it can be done ... how long does it take to pop off the doors????
Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation BAD Instructions! Wrong Thread Count!

The cover plates for the doors were not threaded the same as the existing screws; which the instructions said to use. I have an 08 and I'm not sure if Jeep threw a curveball or if the manufacture of the relocation brackets screwed up. I wound up stripping the head and the threading, had to drill it out and then retap the cover plate. It was fixed with a couple of bolts I picked up at OSH, but was a royal P.I.T.A.

Moral of the story, if your existing screws don't fit into the cover plate, then take the cover plate to a hardware store and get something that is the same length with the proper thread count.

Amen about not being able to see the passenger mirror, but it's legal. I just learned to turn and look.

Anyone else have the thread count issue?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearney
The cover plates for the doors were not threaded the same as the existing screws; which the instructions said to use. I have an 08 and I'm not sure if Jeep threw a curveball or if the manufacture of the relocation brackets screwed up. I wound up stripping the head and the threading, had to drill it out and then retap the cover plate. It was fixed with a couple of bolts I picked up at OSH, but was a royal P.I.T.A.

Moral of the story, if your existing screws don't fit into the cover plate, then take the cover plate to a hardware store and get something that is the same length with the proper thread count.

Amen about not being able to see the passenger mirror, but it's legal. I just learned to turn and look.

Anyone else have the thread count issue?
Go to the hardware store? I just used the bolts and washer that came with it for the door plug
Old 02-25-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

okay. Are they in stock anywhere or they still taking orders? It seems cheap enough a mod. Bumpers and everything else are ridicouly. Engine problems have been sucking away my money.

Yah, it took about a hour to pop off the entire hard top .. haha read directions first. It was hilarious. Feel stupid now about.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a pic of mine. I did the same and added a little round stick on mirror to see out the passenger side mirror.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_katemcy_034.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	6480  
Old 02-25-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lightbulb They must have fixed it.

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
Go to the hardware store? I just used the bolts and washer that came with it for the door plug
AH HA, No bolts or washers came for the door plug. I think they have corrected the issue by including those now. The instructions specifically said to use the existing torx screws when you remove the mirror from the door, which is not possible.

Quick Reply: RR JK mirror relocation brackets