Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RR 3.8 snorkel

Old 03-18-2021, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR 3.8 snorkel

I have been looking at reviews on the rugged ridge 3.8 snorkel. Most seem to like it. I am wondering if people are finding the metal tubing coming in contact with the exhaust? Is anyone having this issue?
Old 03-18-2021, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mine doesn't contact the exhaust. It's a unique install, but it seems to work. I've been in relatively deep water without hydro locking....though I've been in deeper water without hydro locking without the snorkel. I've got to a point where I'm more frustrated hitting that level of water/ mud because it gets into brakes and inner axle seals which is a whole bundle of fun to correct.

Is there other info I can help you out with on it?
Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it’s not contacting the exhaust. I was concerned of the air being heated by the exhaust. Honestly I would rather get an AEV style snorkel but at some point I want to get a roof rack and they don’t play well together.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I could check temps of the intake air, but I don't think it varies much from what stock does. It holds fairly tight to the back of the shock tower and makes a quick turn under the air box. I only run the low mount, I've not messed around with the high mount because I grab enough tree branches with my windshield as is and I'm really hoping not to be in water higher than the cowl.

Again, if there's more I can help out with, just let me know. Picture below you can trace where it goes with the fender liner out.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I would consider the Volant, installed on my 08, bypasses the exhaust but might have to be a little creative with a roof rack.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

The volant snorkel is a nice set up but would probably create the same issue with a roof rack. Sucks that the only roof racks that work with AEV style snorkels are over a grand.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You can do it yourself for cheaper and go thru the cowl. You need to turn the battery and fuse box and you have room to run a pipe into the cowl and up to mount a precleaner or just a intake above the hood. This forum is not really active but is still there with a write up.
Custom Snorkel/CAI write-up
Old 03-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You can do it yourself for cheaper and go thru the cowl. You need to turn the battery and fuse box and you have room to run a pipe into the cowl and up to mount a precleaner or just a intake above the hood. This forum is not really active but is still there with a write up.
This is exactly what I want to do but on the 3.6. With the dual battery in place I don't think there's enough room though.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
That's my friend Anthony- I helped him cut those holes in his cowl all those years ago. I know he asked you for points here and there and what to buy as well.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Ilost track of him, last I knew he was in SoCal and working in Mexico.

Quick Reply: RR 3.8 snorkel