Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RpmExtreme Official GEN4 LS Swap Thread 2007-2011 JK

Old 06-29-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info from great people!! There is no one else I would trust with my jeep besides JON @ RPM. Guy is a genus when it comes to this stuff.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 that I installed the steering wheel and shifter from a 2012. Will the tap shift and cruise control work like factory with this kit?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Subscribed! I have been running a supercharger on my 3.8 for the last year and am doing my homework now prepping for a v8 swap in the next 2 months. Thanks for this info.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Spytec128
I have a 2007 that I installed the steering wheel and shifter from a 2012. Will the tap shift and cruise control work like factory with this kit?
Ok. So the way our TAP shift and cruise control works.

Cruise control works basically like normal. on-off set-resume-cancel . The cruise light on the dash works as normal without having to modify the cluster or anything.

TAP shift is not available when the cruise light is on. This keeps us from having overlapping commands.

For the TAP shift it works like a chevy truck on the shifter side. You would pull the shifter down 1 position from drive and this will put it into manual mode. When you shift to manual mode it will display the current gear on the dash. From there you can use the cruise buttons to tap up or down. So resume+ would give you a TAP up and set- would give you a TAP down all the wile it will display what ever gear you have selected. The 07-10 will be on the cruise "stalk" so flick up for up shift and flick down for down shift. On the 2011 and newer you would be hitting resume or set to TAP up or down, One bonus to the 2011 and newer is you can install a newer RAM switch that will have GEAR+ and GEAR- on the very top of the switch. You can use either the GEAR buttons or the regular cruise buttons... pretty cool. Bonus, TAP will work with cruise while using the GEAR + - buttons.

As for the 12+ shifter. Since there is not a way to pull the shifter down from drive it will not work without modification and I don't believe your jeep will have the provisions for the shifter module to plug in and be present on the CAN bus. We like to use factory parts that don't require grinding or modifying to make function. With that being said you may be able to modify your shifter to allow it to pull down from drive, but at this times we don't support it without the shifter module working and on the CAN bus where we can read and use the data. If you all ready swapped over your center console I would go with a 2011 shifter. This will give you 2 ranges below drive and a "tow/Haul" button that is not present on the 12+ shifter.

That reminds me. We use the factory O/D off button as our TOW HAUL or PERFORMANCE SHIFT button. I really like this mode. I have my personal Jeep programed as a PERF shift mode and its fun as heck to drive on the back roads throttle blipping going into the curves. This "button" is not built into a 12+ shifter.

Our 12+ Kits will be done a little differently but we are not ready to release specifics on them as of yet.

Last edited by rpmextreme; 06-30-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

So no manual transmission options it sounds like?
Old 06-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by redluve1
So no manual transmission options it sounds like?
I don't really know of a good manual transmission that will bolt up, have 4wd and fit thru the stock shifter hole. Thats why we only really support the 6l80E 6 speed auto.

Its not to hard to convert from a manual JK to a LS auto combo.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor

The importance of matching the TCM to the ECM

As a general guideline you will want to match the ECU to the TCM. The easiest way to describe it is if you have a 6L80E that came out of a 2009 silverado you would want to match it up with a 2009 engine calibration E38 ECU part number 12625455. Its far easier to program a engine computer than program a transmission computer as they are built into the valve body. We do have the capability to reflash a TCM with our bench top harness but it would require you to remove the TCM and send it to us along with the ECM.

A 2007 TCM should be matched up with a 2007 ECM #19210738
A 2008 TCM should be matched up with a 2008 ECM #12612384
A 2009 TCM should be matched up with a 2009 ECM #12625455
2010 - 2015 TCMs can be reflashed to any year between 2010 and 2013 for our application, We would match this up with a 2010-2013 ECM #12633238

A 2010 and newer transmission is the most desirable due to the fact that it will work with all the engine calibrations from 2010 and newer.

A camaro 6l80e will work with a few mods. You will need to trim the output shaft down, Add a seal and 2 pipe plugs. You should also reprogram it to a truck calibration

A 2wd 6l80E will work after you cut down the shaft and add the seals. We have a 2wd to 4wd conversion kit on our website so you don't have to hunt down seals and plugs. The kit also will come with instructions.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor

Manual to Auto LS swap info

When doing a LS swap on a JK that was originally a manual you will need some extra pieces.
Despite what the internet may say the 6 speed center console is not as wide as a auto console. You can't just slap on a upper trim panel and call it a day.

Here is a list of the main parts for a 07-10 Grey console
shifter 52060162AE
Low bracket 52060490AE
cable 52060164AD
Nut 06104716AA x10
Consol base 1FG73BD5AB
Auto upper panel 1CG44XDVAB

All the ones that we have seen have the harness built into the jeep and all you have to do is plug them in and everything will work including the BTSI Brake transmission shift interlock.

You can also get the cable the runs up to the ignition lock cylinder but we usually don't do this extra step. I think it just keeps you from turning the key all the way off with the vehicle in gear.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Former Vendor

Default Airflow Airflow Airflow

Airflow Airflow Airflow

That big warn power plant you have on your front bumper. That thing is killing the airflow across the radiator.

Something to think about before you do a LS swap or any V8 for that matter is how much airflow am I loosing because of my Winch-Bumper combo. Im not talking about "hey it doesn't look like it block much" I'm talking going down the highway at 70MPH and having all the air flow up and over the hood and not thru the radiator. Think aerodynamics, real wind tunnel type of crap. Most of us don't have a wind tunnel in our backyard so we do the next best thing. Go borrow some yarn from grandma, grab some tape and your Go Pro and head out to the Jeep. Take the yarn and cut your self pieces about a foot long and start attaching them all over the front of the bumper, stinger, winch, radiator openings, top of hood etc.... Set up the Go Pro off to the side so you can the whole mess of yarn and go hit the highway. Record what the yarn does at different speeds. You will probably see that the air will stop flowing into the radiator and go up over the hood at some point, some may even see the air coming out of the radiator. Now comes the fun part, you need to determine what is the main cause of the messed up flow. We have seen big changes from something as simple as removing a light bar that was attached to the fairlead. This is something you will need to determine on your own and by trial and error.

At idle and low speeds this doesn't really come into play. If your running hot at idle or low speeds you have other issues.

We usually only start to see issues like this at 70MPH + on really hot days. If your running the AC your compounding the issue, your basically putting 250º air in front of the radiator. So if she starts to run hot shut off the AC.

Another thing to try is an air dam. Most vehicles especially sports cars with small grill openings will have one. This will cause a low pressure area under the engine and will effectively "pull" air thru the radiator.
True story, back when I was a kid I had a 88 TransAm GTA. One day it started overheating while going down the road. If I stopped the temps would come back down to norman. I tried everything to fix it from water pump to head gaskets. Nothing seemed to fix it. Then one day a much wiser shade tree mechanic said " Kid you tore off your air dam, thats why she is running hot" I went to the dealer bought a new air dam and the problem was fixed. I know on most Jeeps its hard to fab up an air dam but give it a try even if its temporary to see if it helps you out.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Former Vendor

Default Shifter display and TAP shift display

Shifter Display and TAP Shift Display

Here is how your shifter display will look. Remember all this is done without modifying or even removing your cluster or shifter. Just plug up the harness and it will function. As far as I know we are the only one offering a fully functional dash display with 1-6 displaying current selected gear. We can go all the way up to 9 on the display so we will be able to support the new 8 speed GM transmission in the display.

PARK
REVERSE
NEUTRAL
DRIVE
TAP 6
TAP 5
TAP 4
TAP 3
TAP 2
TAP 1
Check Engine light on
Cruise Light on