Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

royal purple ATF

Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default royal purple ATF

Has anyone used this and recorded temperatures lower than normal?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

anyone?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also want to know... ? From what I heard, Royal Puple ATF is awsome!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I read about someone who had a transmission problem and the Dealer said his warrantee was denied because his fluid looked like Royal Purple (he didn’t use Royal Purple). In the end he did get is transmission fixed under warrantee, but it was a big hassle.

From what I’ve read the stock synthetic ATF in the transmission is pretty good.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joe002
From what I’ve read the stock synthetic ATF in the transmission is pretty good.
Is the stock trans fluid synthetic? If so I didn't realize that. I was considering going to it in an atempt, along with an oil cooler, to lower trans temp in the summer when crawling.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

In Powerstroke's it's frowned on. The stuff is too slick according to some guru's. Some guys do run it though without issue. In my Powerstroke, I went with Schaffer's ATF. I'll consider Schaffer's in the JK when I get close to ATF change.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Alpine6
In Powerstroke's it's frowned on. The stuff is too slick according to some guru's. Some guys do run it though without issue. In my Powerstroke, I went with Schaffer's ATF. I'll consider Schaffer's in the JK when I get close to ATF change.
Strangely enough when I ordered my B&M trans oil cooler I asked the tech whose brain I was picking about running B&N trick ATF fluid. He suggested NOT running it as it would make the tranny shift too hard and I wouldn't like it.

What is the deal with Schaffers? Is it better and if so why?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

I truly don't know if it's better for JK's, Schaeffer's (sorry misspelled earlier) that is. Brian's Truck Shop (BTS) built my tranny for Powerstroke and recommends the Schaeffer's over Royal Purple. He specializes in my truck trannies and does A LOT of them. With my truck, I replaced the tranny and upgraded the cooler, along with Schaeffer's. Changing all that at once yielded a severe drop in temps, the cooler was the big source. I can say this though, I replaced my T-case oil with Schaeffers ATF in my truck, and it's quieter and smoother.

I'm too much of a chicken 5hit to change much in my Jeep (warranty sakes). I would definately read up on any fluid I swapped out regardless.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
Is the stock trans fluid synthetic? If so I didn't realize that. I was considering going to it in an atempt, along with an oil cooler, to lower trans temp in the summer when crawling.
Here is a quick read on ATF+4. I really looks like Chrysler designed the transmission to exclusively work with ATF+4, and I haven't seen the drawbacks of it, and see the potential issues (like warrantee problems and wear on the transmission).
Old 01-21-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I personally would not replace the stock fluid looking for any sort of performance benefits. The servos, and bands have been soaking in ATF+4 since the day they were born. Changing the viscosity and thickness of the oil to something new isn't what the tolerances or parts were built to take when coming out of the factory. Shift points could also be altered. I would agree with the last post on that if changed, a void warranty and premature wear could be expected.

Just my

Quick Reply: royal purple ATF