Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Round one???

Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Round one???

Ok, I have read some really helpful threads that and I have learned quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have now ended up with more questions...

I am running a stock 4dr auto. I have been looking at a lift between 2 and 3.25 and I like the rough country 3.25. The main reason I like it is it uses 2.5 springs and 3/4 inch spacers. I would only use the springs to start and save the sapcers for later if I need to level or want a littler more height. Anyway, I am trying to squeeze the following into my small budget: 33 inch tires, rims, the lift, a front adjustable trac bar, and front sway bar discos. I figure that will keep me very happy for some time.

Now after reading up in several spots and trying to soak it all in, I am concerned whether I will also NEED a drive shaft, and a set of front lower control arms, or both. With 2.5 inches of lift, will I NEED these last few items out of the gate or can I wait for round two to look at these?

MUCH THANKS.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you're only planning on running 33" tires, you might want to just install a 1" body lift or 1" and call it a day. you can practically run 33's without any lift at all and the 1" additional clearance would insure it. with this setup, you will not need to worry about adjustable track bars, new shocks, longer sway bar links, drive shafts or pretty much anything. super cheap, easy to install and it will give you what you need. if not a body lift, a basic 3/4" spacer lift will do the same for ya
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Chief, i agree with wayoflife. i plan on getting the daystar 1-3/4" spacers and going with the 33" wrangler duratrac's. seems like a good low buck way to go.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running that lift and have been since this past spring. I have the stock driveshafts and lower control arms and I haven't had any problems. BTW........the Jeep is my DD and I'm running 34" tires.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Skibum, there has been some talk about some particualr rough country springs sagging badly. Any issues with yours?

WOL, I am not a big fan of a body lift. It just looks odd to me. I know it is only an inch, so maybe it is not so bad. Most of what I do not like is when I have seen a 2 inch body lift. The gap just looks odd to me. Just my opinion.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Father0fm1ne
Skibum, there has been some talk about some particualr rough country springs sagging badly. Any issues with yours?

WOL, I am not a big fan of a body lift. It just looks odd to me. I know it is only an inch, so maybe it is not so bad. Most of what I do not like is when I have seen a 2 inch body lift. The gap just looks odd to me. Just my opinion.
agreed. anything more than an inch is just wrong in my opinion. but, 1" is hardly noticable and, it won't change anything on your suspension so you won't have to worry about anything there. the other alternative is to install 1" coil spacers. it will give you the same results and will be fine for 33" tires. what will shift in your suspension will not be enough to matter.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

I went with a Zone 2" spacer kit and I have PLENTY of room for 33's. I didn't have to change or add a thing to the kit and my Jeep drives great.
I didn't add control arms or adjustble trac bars
I did add new shocks. makes the ride that much better over the stock rubi
shocks.

just my spacer kit was 130.00
shocks were around 35 a piece.

you don't have to have new rims to run 33's. so you could save some cash there too.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

my 2 cents.........

I dont'know from manufacture brand vs. manufacture brand which is "the best".......and some of our forum members have had many jeeps over many years and have used many different parts & makers. I don't have ANY of that type of experience...........but I can tell your this for sure my fellow 4dr JKér........

I got the Teraflex 2.5 lift kit with shocks (Gotta Have w/the Shocks), 33's w/Hutchison beadlocks. my 4dr is an absolute mountain/rock killing climbing machine w/the 33's w/nooooooooo rubbing problems anywhere at any time. Also......on the street, while slightly more noticible in handling situations........it is a true pleasure and a sweetheart on pavement and nooooooo death wobble (installed right is a necessity for any of these lift kits).........no need for regearing, control arms and all that stuff. Easy to steer, control and drive almost like stock. It's an EASY and cost effective way to go w/ no worry or need for other things to make it work right and work well. Also, I have very heavy front/rear steel bumpers and winch on front.....the kit gave me a net about 2" lift and the front rake is barely noticible. You don't have to spend all the extra after the basic lift.....good luck w'/the build
Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Are there any special concerns I should consider due to the D30 up front?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Father0fm1ne
Are there any special concerns I should consider due to the D30 up front?
not with 33" tires.

Quick Reply: Round one???