Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough ride: What to do?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough ride: What to do?

This week I returned from what was an awesome trip to jeep the Western part of the Trans America Trail and many trails in Moab in the process. Its been 3 years since i upgraded my suspension to the Full Traction 3" premium lift with M-Force shocks. The lift has always been of high quality and provides extremely good control over large obstacles. My problem has always been the unbearably rough ride to and from said obstacles. The damn thing is smooth over pavement, gravel, etc... but as soon as I get into some of those trails writtled with 1" plus rock bumps all over and larger i've got to slow to 2 mph just to make the ride bearable. For further information, yes I lower my tire pressure and did on this trip to about 25 psi depending on altitude. I've been running for ever Dick Cepek FC2's and bought a set of the new General Grabbers in 35" while in Moab after destroying the FC2's on Kane Creek Canyon trail. I also disconnected my front sway bar and as always that helps substantially, BUT....

I know, I know, my jeep is no trophy truck or Baja buggie. But, is it too much to ask for the suspension to soak up some of this? What am I missing here? What can I do? I'm ready to throw in the towel on the jeep its so bad ( or at least its current suspension setup )... please help me!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:08 AM
JK Newbie

I have the General AT2s. I run 25psi on the Street (at least in the front).
Old 10-11-2010, 02:27 AM
JK Junkie

Goody's reply has you covered. low to mid teens when you're out on the trail and rocks. The FT springs are a little heavy for my liking as well, but I think they would do a lot better if my rig was heavier. In fact I have recently pulled them, but primarily because I wasn't feeling comfortable with my very light service description tires, but they did fine with the heavier Toyos I had in play previously.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Former Member

As Goody suggest lower your PSI offroad. try around 12 and see how it works.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

One sure cure for smoothing out the ride over rough terrain is to install the Off Road Evolution coilovers, front and rear. People riding with me can't believe how smooth the ride is over ruts, bumps and small rocks like you described. IMO, you can't beat the ride whether on road or off road.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default PSi

Thanks for the reply guys! I guess I never considered 25psi being too high for off roading. My next off roading adventure will be done in the 12-15psi range to see how that helps. I'd do a coil over conversion front and rear but i'm trying not to waste money on this jeep in hopes of a diesel wrangler in the next couple years. Think i'm wasting my time waiting on that?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by jared1843
Thanks for the reply guys! I guess I never considered 25psi being too high for off roading. My next off roading adventure will be done in the 12-15psi range to see how that helps. I'd do a coil over conversion front and rear but i'm trying not to waste money on this jeep in hopes of a diesel wrangler in the next couple years. Think i'm wasting my time waiting on that?
nope, and letting out air is a free and easy fix!

Quick Reply: Rough ride: What to do?