Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough ride after installing Teraflex levelling kit and new tires

Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough ride after installing Teraflex levelling kit and new tires

Hi everyone. I recently installed the Teraflex 1.5" levelling kit, 18x9 rockstars and BFG All-Terrain TA KO 305/65R18 tires. I've noticed that after doing the install if I hit bumps in the road or ruts the jeep rocks back and forth rather abruptly to the point that passengers in the back feel like they are on a roller coaster ride. An example would be driving in the curb lane and the right side tires go into a rut. That causes the Jeep to drop to the right. When they come out of the rut the Jeep then abruptly shifts to the left and then abruptly back to the right. So instead of a smooth dip and then levelling out it almost feels like the axles are locked in place. Any clues as to what the issue might be? A few things to point out:

- tire pressure was at 32 psi. I increased the pressure to 40 psi and although it rides smoother the jarring feeling still occurs
- as per the instructions with the kit, everything was tightened and torqued while the jeep was still in the air (on the hoist)
- The kit did not state to loosen the track bars, lower or upper control arms so I didn't touch them during the install
- verified that all springs are seated properly.
- alignment does not seem to be off (i.e.: Jeep does not drift) and i straightened the steering wheel via the drag link.

I've read instructions from other lift kits that say you need to tighten and torque everything while it is on the ground, but this kit didn't. I'm just guessing that I need to put it back on a hoist, loosen everything including the track bar and control arms, lower it and tighten/torque everything while it is on the ground.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Did you do the springs or the pucks? Also 40 psi seams way to high. I keep mine around 32 otherwise I bounce all over the road. I also swaped out my stock shocks for stock length Bilsteins. The ride is stiffer but 100 times better.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blue project
Did you do the springs or the pucks? Also 40 psi seams way to high. I keep mine around 32 otherwise I bounce all over the road. I also swaped out my stock shocks for stock length Bilsteins. The ride is stiffer but 100 times better.
Pucks. Also, I had the tires at 32 psi and had the issue. Tires are rated for 65 psi cold. At 40 psi it does ride better than at 32 psi.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=pureadrenalin;2755683]- as per the instructions with the kit, everything was tightened and torqued while the jeep was still in the air (on the hoist)
[QUOTE]

I believe everything is suppose to be torqued while the jeep is sitting on the ground? Could this possibly have anything to do with the problems you've had with ride quality?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have the wheel/tire combination before you installed the TF leveling kit?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=bish16;2755731][QUOTE=pureadrenalin;2755683]- as per the instructions with the kit, everything was tightened and torqued while the jeep was still in the air (on the hoist)

I believe everything is suppose to be torqued while the jeep is sitting on the ground? Could this possibly have anything to do with the problems you've had with ride quality?
This is true
Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

would think TF CS guys could walk you through troubleshooting this.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

The puck adds preload to the spring making it a little stiffer. You are running a heavy wheel/tire combo with a low profile sidewall. You stock shocks won't like this combo at all. Adding unsprung weight (wheels/tires) has an adverse affect on suspension. Shocks will help but won't completely correct the problem. Changing to a 15"-17" wheel with a taller profile will. I had a similar issue on a Tacoma. Went from a 255-70-17 to a 285-65-18 and the ride and handling went to crap. Lived with it for about 4 months then went to a 265-75-16 setup. All was good again.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Did you have the wheel/tire combination before you installed the TF leveling kit?
I installed the lift and drove it for a few weeks with the stock tires/rims. Had the same issue so I don't think it is the tires.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
The puck adds preload to the spring making it a little stiffer. You are running a heavy wheel/tire combo with a low profile sidewall. You stock shocks won't like this combo at all. Adding unsprung weight (wheels/tires) has an adverse affect on suspension. Shocks will help but won't completely correct the problem. Changing to a 15"-17" wheel with a taller profile will. I had a similar issue on a Tacoma. Went from a 255-70-17 to a 285-65-18 and the ride and handling went to crap. Lived with it for about 4 months then went to a 265-75-16 setup. All was good again.
Doubt it is the tires. Had the same issue with the stock rims/tires. Since the aftermarket tires are 305's there is plenty of sidewall. Not anywhere near what I would consider a low profile sidewall. One thing this kit didn't come with is shock extensions. Perhaps that could be part of the problem.

I have sent TF customer support an email. Will see what they have to say.

Quick Reply: Rough ride after installing Teraflex levelling kit and new tires