Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country X-Flex Adjustable Control Arms

Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monte417
Just curious if anyone that has these are experiencing any noises (a bang in particular) when coming to a sharp stop
Just wanted to update you guys that bang i heard when i wold stop short was indeed the toasted bushing on the frame end of my front lowers. RC sent me their new replacement bushings and so far so good. Ive put about 15k on the new bushings and 50k overall on the amrs and their structure is holding fine just make sure you have their new bushings on both ends of the arms
Old 03-02-2014, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Just wanted to update you guys that bang i heard when i wold stop short was indeed the toasted bushing on the frame end of my front lowers. RC sent me their new replacement bushings and so far so good. Ive put about 15k on the new bushings and 50k overall on the amrs and their structure is holding fine just make sure you have their new bushings on both ends of the arms
Bump... Any more long term reviews on the X series kit??? I'm thinking about buying this kit soon. Where's the best place to buy?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump... No one has a review they would like to share on these?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really surprised some of the usuals haven't chimed in. If you google to hard you will find a plethora of threads complaining about the x-flex joints wearing out prematurely and the threads on the bushing lock stripping out. Most people end up replacing the flex joint with Jonny joints to fix the issue. After you do that it puts the cost up with the more expensive brands that already have better joints. As far as the rest of the arm I have never seen any issues. The joint issues keep me from buying these arms. I usually like rough county but it's hard to argue with that many complaints.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

If that is the style of lift you are looking for I would give the clayton long arm a good hard look. It uses Johnny Joints and has better clearance then the rough country kit has.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I have these arms on my jeep with the newest style joints. The joints are okay, but have had to be adjusted a few times in 11k miles to tighten them up. I have to grease them every month and I don't drive it very much. I would definitely consider the real jonny joint from currie. RC does have phenomenal customer service!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 AM
JK Freak

My experience with Rough Country is kinda mixed. Love their products and their customer service. My most recent experience with them was a 3.5" lift for my JKU Sport. Only 2 issues the bushings squeaked a lot and right from the start and their shocks just plain suck. At least the set that came with the lift. So when I traded in my Sport and bought a Rubi, I went with Rubicon Express' Basic 3.5" lift with track bar and monotube shocks. The shocks are night and day better but I don't like the flightiness in the steering. I bought it with the intent of upgrading to a long arm but for a couple hundred more I can get the RC long arm full suspension kit. My only issue is I would prefer a 4link long arm instead of a radius arm and RC doesnt offer it and Rubicon Express doesn't offer it as an upgrade only as a full kit. And then there is the Rough Country shocks and they do not give you the ability to buy the kit without the shocks. Such is my dilemna.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2 months on X-Flex arms, and bad bushing already

Installed a set of 8 x-flex control arms back at the end of May. Went wheeling 2-3 times, and developed a squeak that I couldn't locate until Saturday. The fixed bushing on the rear upper control arm on the passenger side is bad. The metal on the arm is rubbing up against the mount, causing the squeak.

I chatted with RC customer service online Saturday afternoon, and had to buy a replacement bushing (I bought the set as an open-box return, so apparently they don't cover the warranty). Bushing was $18 delivered. I have a friend with a press, and so the plan is to swap it out Wednesday night after it arrives.

Other than that, the arms are fine. I'm only running 2.5" of lift, so they were not really needed to adjust pinion angles. I bent a stock rear control arm a few months ago, which caused me to want to get something beefier.

If I have another bushing go bad, I'm going to sell these arms, and go with something of a higher quality.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had mine for around 18k miles. I rebuilt the old ones with the new style joints. I've beat them do death. A lot of fast washboard and pothole dirt roads, off road, flexing, and they are just fine. I grease them religiously though. When I installed them, I didn't set them to where I could preload them later. I tightened them down as tight as I could get them. I just keep packing them with grease after every hard ride, or every month. They are still really tight and zero noises.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Never, ever, buy anything from RC unless you want cheap junk. Period.

Quick Reply: Rough Country X-Flex Adjustable Control Arms