Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough country vs. Warn

Old 01-12-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into the super winch tiger shark.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Warn hands down is better than Rough country. I chuckled to myself as soon as I seen the topic of this thread's name... Warn vs. Rough Country. My first thought was there wouldn't be no competition. That'd be like Mike Tyson boxing against our 11 year old. xD Not that someone new to Jeeps should know that. Don't take it the wrong way and think I was laughing at you either, I'm not! I didn't know that a year ago but a year of learning about Jeeps from forums and videos alone...

I'd go with Warn if you have the funds. Some of the others posted are good winches too from what I've read on. If I might add... I'd try to buy a winch that will work while submerged under water. Cause not all of them do!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a Warn VR10000 winch and it is a Warn but still it is just a cheapo Chinese winch. I am a little miffed because Warn originally was stating these were made in Oregon along side the other Warn winches but that is not true. It says right on the box made in China. They are $500 after rebate. I guess Warn is good about warrantying them as they carry the same warranty as the other Warns but still bugs me that Warn initially led people to believe these were assembled here. I am guessing the Warn VR series, Engo, superwinch (excluding the US made ones), quadratech etc all come out of the same Chinese plant.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I myself have been researching ENGO. FOR THE MONEY, warranty and what they offer I'm leaning their way pretty hard. 10000lb winch for 308
Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Warn. Don't even waste your money on the china brands (whatever they are named).
Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JcrOffroad
Warn. Don't even waste your money on the china brands (whatever they are named).
what sucks is Warn VR series 8000,10000, and 12000 are china brands. They let you think they are assembled in the US but they are not.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:04 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engo, super winch, smittybilt are all good winches 2 have a slower pulling speed. Another decent winch is bulldog all are Chinese with exception of super winch I'm not sure now come up by what they go by made em before they swapped manufacturers...

Comeupusa is another well designed winch its the warn of winches over seas. They have winches in 50 countries military, government use, rescue etc all over the world including manufacturing ..

So there's some good stuff out there I've seen Engo in use ALOT of times and it works just fine as does Smitty.

I run a warn because I got a good deal but the others are just fine if your not pulling mass loads 5 times a month or from under water then the others will be fine. Line speed is a bit slow but I've had times where line speed helped with control of it are fast it would have been a bit sketchy....so fast pulling isn't always the best.

I've run warn, Smitty and others in the past and 1 i had an issue. I inherited a warn with a sticky motor it seized from too big of a pull....like any coil wound motor just take a big hammer and tap it...

Any winch including warn (being these are all electronics) it is a good idea if its spooled to unspool it and do a test pull periodically...1 right when its new to bet adjusted to it torque' speed, noise of drum etc and too. Make sure its working consistently with a minute or to pull.....I'd do that with any winch nothing sucks worse than finding a bad ground, sticky motor, bad solenoid if its not hard wired etc....

Warn is a great winch I used to log in Washington state where I grew up and seen a lot in nasty conditions but at the same time I've seen lessor winches do some HEAVY use as well....

Last edited by BRUT4CE; 01-13-2014 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Rough country vs. Warn