Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country or Teraflex 2.5BB??

Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gointoheli
OK, so I'm looking at a 2.5" lift, with 33's eventually (sooner rather than later). I will keep my stock wheels and tires for now. 08 unlimited Sahara, so I have the 18" wheels. Should I go with the TF BB lift, BB with OE shock adapters or with the BB with shocks? I'm looking for the best ride on the road (closest to oem) as I do a lot of traveling and this is my DD, but with the looks and capability for some mild off road. Most important for now is the ride but I want it to look good and have a bit more clearance.

Do I need wheel spacers with the stock rims and 33's?
Again, at full flex 32"s or bigger tires could rub... on the road you'll be fine. I don't wheel it hard and believe that "Budget Boost" should be cheap and look good... Thats why i picked Rough Country... If a BB lift cost more than $400, why wouldn't you save a little more and get a real lift? $140 is the right price for a budget lift!

EDIT: BTW the jeep rides just like it did before the lift...

More pics in my gallery..

Last edited by Labrador; 03-11-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Labrador, Thanks for the reply. Your's looks Awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Still doesn't answer my question on which kit to go with? I'm not opposed to the RC kit, but should I go with the new shocks or shock adapters on the oe shocks. Sorry, but I'm a total newb here.

I want to use the stock 18" rims but definately want new tires.
What tires are you running? wheel and tire size? Looks great!!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, After reading your description, I see your running the Rubi wheels and tires. I think they're 17" wheels?

Am I going to need the wheel spacers also?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gointoheli
Labrador, Thanks for the reply. Your's looks Awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Still doesn't answer my question on which kit to go with? I'm not opposed to the RC kit, but should I go with the new shocks or shock adapters on the oe shocks. Sorry, but I'm a total newb here.

I want to use the stock 18" rims but definately want new tires.
What tires are you running? wheel and tire size? Looks great!!
The kit you go with is up to you.
If you're planning to do a lot of offroading, i would get new shocks..
I'm running OE rubickon shocks (with adapters) and rubi wheels, which are 32" tires on 17" rims.
I will get new shocks soon, but for now these are fine.
Tires for 18" rims are $$$ . Ant if you get 33"s on stock wheels, i'm pretty sure you will have to get wheelspacers, with 32" you might not need them...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rough_Country
That is correct, but nothing I repeat nothing is fool proof. Anything can be broken if abused. We have wheeled the piss out of our two JKs both had the 2.5" kit. One with our shocks and one without and no damage was done to either vehicle with the exception of a few scratches.
I'll keep this really short because I don't want to harass you. Was the one "without" using the shock extenders with stock bump stops?

In a few weeks I can buy one of your kits with the extenders and test it out. I can document any issues and send them to you if you want. If you don't want it i'll just use the info as piece of mind for my Jeep. I have already expressed my opinion, so I won't post more on the "extenders with stock bumpstops" concern until I see for myself. I do feel I have accurate data that allows me to draw a few conclusions. However, I do not own this kit.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjbissett
Please do not take this discussion off line. I think it is valuable for lots of people who are newbies. The discussion benefits all bc I'm sure both TF and RC want the consumer to make the right decision.
I said my piece, and until I install a new lift I have no more information to share anyway.

To continue the conversation without speculation ... any person that has already bought the kit could easily check for the issue during the install.

Remove sway bar link lower bolts. Remove the shocks and install extenders. Reinstall shock upper mounting with extenders. Remove springs. Jack up axle until axle is firmly seated against bump stop. The frame should remain on the stands, but the bump stop should bear weight. Fully compress the shock by hand (difficult, but possible by hand) and attempt to install lower shock bolt in axle bracket. If it won't fit in because the hole does not line up (shock too long) you have a problem.

All of the work in the above paragraph is part of the lift install anyway except for the jacking of the axle and hand compressing the shock. What it comes down to is that you can check for this problem in two easy steps during the install. You can add an ASB link test with only two more steps.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

I dont know what a break line extention is...dO I need one with the RC BB running stock Rubi Shocks?

Also, what is the OEM Stabilzer and do I need that as well....???? THanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Conradfreedumb
I dont know what a break line extention is...dO I need one with the RC BB running stock Rubi Shocks?

Also, what is the OEM Stabilzer and do I need that as well....???? THanks!
Brake line extentions are cheap, i've heard RC has them for a $1, so might as well get them. And you don't need any stabilizer for BB...

EDIT: i ment brake line extended brackets... sorry

Last edited by Labrador; 03-12-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Do I need 1, 2 , 3, what do I do with them Lol!

Quick Reply: Rough Country or Teraflex 2.5BB??