Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country SS - Problem

Old 11-06-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country SS - Problem

I'm having some iddues with Rough Country...first I call them about my lift and what would be needed to center the Axel and they tell me to "just deal with it". well I ordered adj. Track bars to fix that issue (the lift should be on in a few days, i waited for the trackbars before having any lift installed)

So yesterday my Rough Country 2.2 Steering stabilizer comes in. not the dual shock one, just the one with one big heavy duty shock and all the mounting hardware and protective plate.
I followed the directions to the T.
Took measurements and double checked placement of everything.
Getting it on was kind of a task due to the location of the brackets and the drag link on my jeep. the underside of my jeep does not look like the jeep in the pictures on the directions (due to not having a lift??)
anyway, got it all installed and tightened down, full lock turn right = all clear, full lock turn left and the drag link is hitting the bracket and the shock itself.
any ideas?
I played with the positioning and the angels last night in my garage till about midnight. The suggested location seems to be the best but still some MAJOR rubbing at full lock turn left.
I know the dual shock SS is only recomended with a 2" lift or something like that, but this kit says you can bolt it right on with stock suspention.
I was going to call RC but after my last conversation with them i have little faith they can offer any assistance.
HELP!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

try the online chat on the RC home page. It worked for me.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't they state the SS is only for a lifted JK. That it does not infact work on stock JK's. I have one on mine with a 2.5" lift and I have had NO issues at all.

Mine didn't look like the one in the instructions either. But did work.

Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

i had the same issue with a skyjacker steering stabilizer. double check the part number to make sure it is for a jk. when mine was sent to me, the wrong part number was sent.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Just for kicks i pulled up on my jeep to see what it would look like withthe lift on ( i only got it up about an inch and a half) but it looks like everything is going to clear a lot better once i get the lift on.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that's the issue man. Get the lift on there and you should be good. Best of luck.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

the 2.2 SS is a monster compared to the stock, and chances are its only for a lifted jeep... i know they used to carry a factory location replacement HD SS for the JK that DID fit on a stock suspension, but the 2.2 i beleive is only for the lifted JK... some pictures would help some too.. and if you're only doing the 2.5 spacer lift of theres, the axles shouldn't be off center much if at all... if you're doing the 4 inch lift it comes with trac bar relocation brackets and they will take care of centering your axle. I'm really suprised they said "Just deal with it" as RCX is known for having the absolutely BEST customer service hands down! my experience with them has never been anything less that everythign i could ask for. If for any reason you're having problems or questions about anything of theirs call them and they will make it right i assure you.

When i baught my 4" kit from them they took apart their JK to ship me the peices i needed as they didn't have the right bushing in stock that i needed... they have since bettered the design and shipped me prototype pieces as well as new production peices free of charge to update my lift to the current style. I have no doubts they will do right by you and you will be happy with their product. Please keep up posted.

and post some pics if you can so we can give you more insight.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

thanks for the help guys.

I'll get my lift on and see how how it works out.

also i'll try to get some pictures to see what you guys think.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

got my lift on....my ss is not hitting as bad but the drag link is still hitting against the new bracket on the steering stabilizer...once again called Rough Country...they told me to play with the placement of the SS....so i moved it all over the place...i looked at the pictures on their website and noticed they had one of the brackets installed backwards on thier jeep..so i tried that.....it still hits......so now i'm getting frustrated....can i just move my drag link up, like put it on top of the knuckles or something?? damn it i'm frustrated
Old 11-21-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

BUMP CUS I'M STILL PISSED :h ot:

Quick Reply: Rough Country SS - Problem