Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country Manual Shifter Adapter issues....

Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country Manual Shifter Adapter issues....

I recently got the 1.25" 2 door body lift with the manual shifter adapter from Rough Country and finally got around to starting the install since the temps outside aren't to bad. Anyways when I went to put the adapter on the transmission stub it didnt go on more than a little ways. I used a block of wood and tried a little bit of force and it went down a total of about a half of an inch. This led to about an hour of trying to get the damn thing back off the stub which I finally managed to do. I checked for burs on both the stub and adapter but nothing. Has anyone else had this issue with it not wanting to go down over the transmission stub?

Thanks
-Mallow
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I had this same exact issue installing this on my 2011 JKU. I picked up a longer screw from the hardware store and used that, it slowly gets the adapter to go down further. But like you, I also spent about 30 mins wrestling with this thing trying to install it.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I installed one on my 2010 no problems. Maybe it's an 11' issue. Have you called rough country they have good install support.

Good luck
Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious how the shifter adaptor is working for those of you with a 1.25" BL? Does it prevent the shifter issues and cutting inner boot?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I just replied to the other RC adapter thread. It did not work for me. Before installation popped out of 2,4,6 after 3 and 5.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"before installation"?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

i installed this lift about a month ago on my 07 manual. i remember talking to the RC guy and he said that the opening for the 11s and possibly the 10s for the shifter to come through are more oval or something than earlier models. i had the issue of my jeep falling out of gear for about 30 mins. i didnt trim my shift boot. although it did have a small tear in it from something else. anyways.. to fix the falling out of gear issue.. i turned the shift knob adapter every so slightly so the it was facing the drivers seat a little bit. i have not since had the falling out of gear issue.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

I have an '11 and Im trying to install the adapter... I took the first screw out of the actual shift lever, but it will not come off the tranny shaft!? How did you all get the shift lever off the shaft to even try and install the adapter onto in? Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

I couldn't get the adapter all the way down on my 2009, I ended up hitting it as far a I could get it to go. Then I got a longer screw from the hardware store.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I understand that, but how did you get the shifter lever off originally. Not the knob or the boot, but the actual shifter shaft.

Quick Reply: Rough Country Manual Shifter Adapter issues....