Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country lifts

Old 08-27-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
As best that I can tell neither of you two own the RC 6" either? What are you basing your opinion on? Do you know someone that owns a RC 6", or are you just saying that since you like your 4" kit that the 6" is good? Dr.Ninja I was told that info by 2 guys that actually own the kit, so maybe I heard them wrong? or maybe they were wrong about the kit they own? Maybe they were just bored and making conversation and looking to spend money? Awd, since you don't own the kit either, maybe you shouldn't comment then?
Then you should have said the specific kit you were talking about, as opposed to:
I have heard they don't flex well, ride poorly, and the kit is incomplete. I have no personal experience with it though.
Remember, the OP actually stated:
just wondering if anyone has run this lift or any rough country lift?
nearly 6 months ago, so at first glance it looks like you're tossing out a blanket statement to all RC lifts.

I do see a lot of guys happy with RC "stuff", but the guy asked about the RC 6"... and I have heard two guys very disappointed in it and trying to get rid of it after only having it a month or two. I think that it is good to give people both the good and bad reviews so they can make a more educated decision when purchasing a product. I agree that they seem to have good customer service and their product is very inexpensive compared to most others. I was not trying to bash their product or the lift under your jeep, I just wanted to relay what I had heard about a particular product that I thought was strange.
Again, you didn't mention a particular product. I will state that a 6" short arm is probably not ideal as far as flexing, but I don't have a great reason for the ride to be that far off, since it uses the same springs as the 4" and some 2" spacers.

I envy you guys. I wish I could just decide I want a taller jeep.... buy the cheapest lift out there, and love my decision.
What's not to love? It rides better than the stock suspension did. I didn't have to replace the driveshafts. I actually put control arms on, so I don't worry about cam bolts (which more expensive lifts have as well). Are there other lifts out there that work? Probably, but since I didn't buy this lift, I wasn't going to tell the person that bought it for me to get me something else. I originally asked for the shorter lift, and was instead surprised to get the taller one. Guess I should have asked for something more expensive next time so you would like me.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DCJEEP
Well I figured I would just ask instead of spending a whole night searching...

looking at this kit:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4x.html

What "Recommended Accessories" and"Upgrades" should I get?
If you bought new wheels, you won't need spacers (probably, check the backspacing to be sure). Some people don't like RC discos, and I run JKS, but you'll likely want a set from somebody. I would recommend front lower control arms instead of cam bolts, as well as adjustable track bars. You don't need a steering stabilizer. The control arms and track bars will cost you almost as much as the lift through northridge.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Then you should have said the specific kit you were talking about, as opposed to:

Remember, the OP actually stated:
nearly 6 months ago, so at first glance it looks like you're tossing out a blanket statement to all RC lifts.

Again, you didn't mention a particular product. I will state that a 6" short arm is probably not ideal as far as flexing, but I don't have a great reason for the ride to be that far off, since it uses the same springs as the 4" and some 2" spacers.
The OP was this:

Originally Posted by Dirty JaKe
found a pretty good deal on a rough country 6", just wondering if anyone has run this lift or any rough country lift? pros/cons is rough country a solid lift or a cheap knock off?
What on earth would make you think that my comments were about anything else?

What's not to love? It rides better than the stock suspension did. I didn't have to replace the driveshafts. I actually put control arms on, so I don't worry about cam bolts (which more expensive lifts have as well). Are there other lifts out there that work? Probably, but since I didn't buy this lift, I wasn't going to tell the person that bought it for me to get me something else. I originally asked for the shorter lift, and was instead surprised to get the taller one. Guess I should have asked for something more expensive next time so you would like me.
Every post I have ever seen where someone installed a RC 2.5 coil or 4" lift and those two 6" guys has said that the ride was harsher than stock so I will mark you down as the first "rides better than stock." I could care less what lift you run under your jeep. Just don't get your panties in a bunch and mad at me for telling someone what I was told about a particular product. If you are buying lifts to make people like you, then maybe you need to get a Hummer or something.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Jedi

I found one of the PM's I got, and I am looking for the other. I am not going to post the users name without his permision.... but if you want to talk to him I will see if he will PM you or whatever.

here is the email:

From: JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board <webmaster@jk-forum.com>
To: myemailaddy@yahoo.com
Sent: Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:13:50 PM
Subject: New Private Message at JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear bigbluejk,

You have received a new private message at JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board from XXXXXX, entitled "Re: Full Traction Kit".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
No problem, I didnt plan to try to talk you down so dont worry about that. If this deal doesnt happen I am ordering the FT long arm upgrade the first part of the week. I found out today just how bad the rough country six inch lift does not like to flex.. Take Care.

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/private.php

All the best,
JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board
Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
What on earth would make you think that my comments were about anything else?
This part of his original statement
just wondering if anyone has run this lift or any rough country lift?
I'm not saying that the 6" doesn't flex, because it's a short arm, of course it can't flex as much. I don't see anything in that PM about the ride, and there are other people in the RC threads who have said that it rides the same or better than stock. Mine came with the heavy duty suspension package as part of the tow package, it rode pretty hard to begin with.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi

This part of his original statement

I'm not saying that the 6" doesn't flex, because it's a short arm, of course it can't flex as much. I don't see anything in that PM about the ride, and there are other people in the RC threads who have said that it rides the same or better than stock. Mine came with the heavy duty suspension package as part of the tow package, it rode pretty hard to begin with.

Whoever taught you how to read needs to be beaten with an axe handle. If you had read my previous posts you will see that I said I received two different comments (each from a different user). One said that his RC6" did not flex the way he wanted and the other guy said that he was disappointed in the ride. If you read the post where I showed you the email it said at the very top that it is one and I am looking for the other one. The emails are from feb. and I have had many emails since then. I promise you that it is somewhere in my mailbox and will be posted for everyone to read. Maybe you can find someone to read it to you.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you bought new wheels, you won't need spacers (probably, check the backspacing to be sure). Some people don't like RC discos, and I run JKS, but you'll likely want a set from somebody. I would recommend front lower control arms instead of cam bolts, as well as adjustable track bars. You don't need a steering stabilizer. The control arms and track bars will cost you almost as much as the lift through northridge.
doesnt that kit come with the lower control arms??
Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi

I am not trying to blast RC products as I think they offer a good product for the money and I am not trying to hate on a fellow Jeeper... so I am not going to post in this thread anymore. Sorry if my relaying opinions or things I said offended anyone.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

doesnt that kit come with the lower control arms??
I didn't see if he selected the kit with or without arms. I would still rather have adjustable arms rather than "locked into one length" arms.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Well I figured I would just ask instead of spending a whole night searching...

looking at this kit:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4x.html

What "Recommended Accessories" and"Upgrades" should I get?
Yeah I'm looking at this same lift. My only concern is whether the fixed control arms will make a big difference. This kit Canadian is $1149 but comes with track bar brackets.

Northridge4x4 in Canada has an OME kit for the same price that comes with coils, shocks, front and rear adjustable track bars but no control arms. I have to buy the control arms and sway bar links separate. I can get Currie adjustable front upper lower control arms for an additional $560 and do the rear ones later. And the rear sway bar links will cost $75 and the guy suggested moving my stock rear ones to the front. This kit with additional rear sway bar links and front upper/ lower control arms will cost me about $1800.

Whereas the Rough Country (link above) is $1149 and should I buy adjustable track bars I would add another $600.

I really wanna keep my pricing to a minimal but I want to install a decent set up the first time without spending $4000

So what are peoples thoughts? Adjustable vs. non adjustable control arms? and new adjustable track bars vs. drop brackets?

Sorry if I hi jacked the tread. I was really trying to keep on topic I just have these questions about Rough Country lift mentioned.

Quick Reply: Rough Country lifts