Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country Lift Opinions?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the RC 2.5" lift and love it. I got the BB with the stock extensions. Here's why I like it so much:
  1. It was super cost effective and accomplished the goal of giving me 2.5" of lift without any problems for a year and a half now.
  2. I retained all my original ride quality as I did not change out my shocks at the time. I could not tell a difference in driving it before the lift versus after the lift. If I wanted new shocks, I still have the option to buy any kind I like at any time.
Love the RC 2.5" lift. If there is one regret, you can't help but to occasionally wish your Jeep was higher. If I were to do it all over again, I would likely go with 3.25 instead.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Made in USA?

I lifted a Chevy truck for a buddy using a RC kit. I noticed that the shocks were made in Mexico. Does anyone know where Teraflex shocks are made?
How about the springs in both the Teraflex and RC kits?

Maybe this is dumb, but I like to know this befor I order a kit
Old 05-23-2010, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default RC lift kits

Does anyone know why RC uses a metal spacer on their BB instead of the polymer ones?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by _J__C_
kfletcher, did they send you front springs as well? And were they also non-progressive?
yes they sent all four. They were non=progressive. The Rep indicated that all were non=progressive now.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Id look at every other lift before RC... in my own opinion.... sorry i installed a steering dampener from them and it was junk, it ruined the stock tie rod... there are many more options out there pick one of them

sorry just my 2 c
Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, here's my two cents. I purchased the RC 2.5 in lift with shocks a little over a year ago (March 09 to be exact). At first I was happy with the height and ride, but I've noticed over the last four months that the coils aren't holding up and I've lost about an inch of height in the rear. I searched the forum and noticed that this has happened to a lot of people Some say that's the way the coils are supposed to be, others argue that they aren't supposed to sit one on top of another. All I know is that the lift has made my JK not much higher than stock. There's also some questionable goo coming from the rear shock driver's side. Soooo, now I'm looking at buying a whole new lift kit to get me back to 2.5 inches of lift, possibly from TF or OME. Below are pics of the springs.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm...lots of varied opinions on this one...I would probably go with the 3.25" Always better to go bigger...Would I need to extend brake lines, driveshaft etc on an unlimited? More research needed on lifts...still too newb!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by nmwranglerx
OK, here's my two cents. I purchased the RC 2.5 in lift with shocks a little over a year ago (March 09 to be exact). At first I was happy with the height and ride, but I've noticed over the last four months that the coils aren't holding up and I've lost about an inch of height in the rear. I searched the forum and noticed that this has happened to a lot of people Some say that's the way the coils are supposed to be, others argue that they aren't supposed to sit one on top of another. All I know is that the lift has made my JK not much higher than stock. There's also some questionable goo coming from the rear shock driver's side. Soooo, now I'm looking at buying a whole new lift kit to get me back to 2.5 inches of lift, possibly from TF or OME. Below are pics of the springs.
Call Ben or Jeffrey and they will send you out the new coil design.
Also, I dont think that shock it leaking. Typically, if the shock is leaky it will be covered in oil. That looks like grease.

Anyways, give us a call and we will do our best to work out these issues.

800-222-7023 ext. 125

Last edited by rcjeep; 05-24-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
Hmm...lots of varied opinions on this one...I would probably go with the 3.25" Always better to go bigger...Would I need to extend brake lines, driveshaft etc on an unlimited? More research needed on lifts...still too newb!

No, you don't have to purchase anything besides what comes with the kit to run 35's but like I said, don't be surprised if you have to do some trimming. Also, I will tell you that I was experiencing some Caster problems (the jeep moves from side to side at speeds north of 45 mph) but for some reason (I think the front is settling) it's gotten better. I was looking at replacing the front lower control arms.

If you go to the 4" lift, you most likely will run into other issues including what you brought up. Again, read the Stickys. There's a lot of info in there.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
Looking at the way 37s fit on my 3.25" kit, I'm not sure how much trimming would have have to be done to fit 35s. I probably would have cut the stock Rubi rails either way, but the pinch seam may have been ok. So far I have taken about an inch off my pinch seem to clear the new tires. True 35s should be about an inch smaller at that point, so you might get away without the trimming.

I also had to remove the front air dam because the tires were rubbing on it during turns. I could have just trimmed the section that was rubbing, but I was going to be removing that dam anyways when I replace the front bumper. Other than than the dam, I did not have to change my steering stops. I can turn from full lock to full lock without the tires contacting anything. It looks like I might lightly rub the stock front bumper at a full stuff and turn though.

The one thing that I think may be missing from this kit for running 35" or 37" tires off road would be some bumpstops at least in the rear. I still need to find a ramp so that I can fully flex out the Jeep and see where I will hit. I was worried about jumping 35s and going straight to 37s, but they really seem to fill out the Jeep's wheel wells. I still need to take some photos of the new setup to show the difference between stock, stock tires with the lift, and the lift and 37s.

Quick Reply: Rough Country Lift Opinions?