Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country Lift Opinions?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country Lift Opinions?

I am looking for some opinions and info on the Rough Country lifts for my unlimited, either the 2.5" or 3.25" with the performance 2.2 shocks. I am going to get 35" tires when my stock tires are worn out. I won't be able to afford too much for a lift and Rough Country is really cheap, but is that because of poor quality? Do you get what you pay for? Any other suggestions for a suspension lift at least 2.5"? I am also looking to get an adjustable trackbar and discos. I am considering the JKS track bar and quicker discos. Would anything else be required to run a 2.5" or 3.25" lift?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat a few years ago when I was looking at lifts, I looked at the RC Lifts because they were cheaper than everyone else but when it comes to suspension lifts you really do get you pay for. I went with the Teraflex 2.5 Coil lift with shocks after reading nothing but good reviews and if you do have issues Joe at teraflex is always on the forum to help. I have had no issues with my lift after having it for over a year and running 35's. It also really depends on what you plan to do with your jeep, Good luck with your choice

Mike
Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 AM
JK Newbie

I hear you brother!

BUT - I just installed a RC 3.25 lift and 35" tires and am not very happy. First, I had to trim my Rubi rockers about 2" and then trim a piece of the body at the pinch weld. RC said I shouldn't have to do this but I only had about 1" clearance between the rear tire and body.

Second, I noticed the stearing was kinda "flighty" or you could say that the Jeep kinda wanders around at higher speeds. This means I have to adjust my Castor which I can't do with this lift because it did not come with adjustable Lower Control Arms.

The first lift I looked at would have cost me about a grand. The RC 3.25" lift was about half. I would not do this again!!

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the RC 2.5 coil lift with the 2.2 shocks just based on cost. It is definitly a get what you paid for scenario. I have about 3000 miles on my 2 door Rubi since the lift and have done some wheeling with it and the shocks are already blown, especially in the rear. They leaked oil pretty bad. Now going over expansion joints and big bumps mid corner make things interesting to say the least. I hate stabilty control but I think its saved me a few times now. I plan on upgrading to the Teraflex 2.5 once my homebuyer tax credit comes in. From what everyone says you can't go wrong with the Teraflex so I'd say go with that over rough country.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll start by saying as confusing as it is the search feature works well. It does however throw in a bunch of BS threads that you have to sort through. There's tons of info on both the RC lifts your asking about.

Since I'm bored at work I don't mind helping out. (works just an excuse. I don't mind at all and hate using the search feature).

I have the RC 2.5 BB (spring spacers and shock extensions). I'm extremely happy with it for 2 reasons.

#1. I got it for FREE from a member on here along with his rubicon shocks. (thanks Rubious)

#2. There's nothing that can break on it. (unless you hit the front shock mounts really hard. They're mounted on the bottom.) its sollid and if properly I stalled. Has the same ride as stock. (my opinion)

They say that you don't need new trackbars but you might. Mine is only about a half an inch off but I noticed it. On the front and the back. It doesn't drive any different but I don't like it. Also I think you'll need to get lower control arms also. Mine could use them. My caster is almost off enough to bother me. It gets a tiny bit squirrely on the express way. Its not horrible but again. I notice it.

As for the discos and trackbar choice. I have the JKS discos and an saving for the trackbars. I am trying to figure out what bar I want. (torn between teraflex, currie, and JKS).

Bottom line. If you want a lift for little $$$ RC is worth the money. You might need some extra components and you might not. If you don't plan on wheeling a lot or don't plan on doing anything extreme you won't need the trackbar for a while. everyone's different so you'll get a thousand different answers. For my style of wheeling and my budget. I would highly recommend RC.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow 3 people posted as I was typing this. I was going to be the first response. Guess I type slow. Lol
Old 05-21-2010, 04:04 AM
JK Freak

i have an rc kit and have no complaints about it at all, i think for the money it can't be beat

as for trackbar i have the jks front and the disco's i got the new rc 1's that you can hook to the frame and keep them out of the way...for $59 thats a pretty good deal
Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Dang It Dan
I hear you brother!

BUT - I just installed a RC 3.25 lift and 35" tires and am not very happy. First, I had to trim my Rubi rockers about 2" and then trim a piece of the body at the pinch weld. RC said I shouldn't have to do this but I only had about 1" clearance between the rear tire and body.

Second, I noticed the stearing was kinda "flighty" or you could say that the Jeep kinda wanders around at higher speeds. This means I have to adjust my Castor which I can't do with this lift because it did not come with adjustable Lower Control Arms.

The first lift I looked at would have cost me about a grand. The RC 3.25" lift was about half. I would not do this again!!

Hope this helps.
Hey man, Im pretty sure that any 3.25" kit on the market would have had the same issue with your rockers. Also, we have adjustable control arms (upper and lowers) that can be added.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by bigljking
I went with the RC 2.5 coil lift with the 2.2 shocks just based on cost. It is definitly a get what you paid for scenario. I have about 3000 miles on my 2 door Rubi since the lift and have done some wheeling with it and the shocks are already blown, especially in the rear. They leaked oil pretty bad. Now going over expansion joints and big bumps mid corner make things interesting to say the least. I hate stabilty control but I think its saved me a few times now. I plan on upgrading to the Teraflex 2.5 once my homebuyer tax credit comes in. From what everyone says you can't go wrong with the Teraflex so I'd say go with that over rough country.
We will replace your shocks. Call 800-222-7023 ask for Jeffrey ext 125. We had some shocks come from our shock manufacturer that had a seal flaw. This has been corrected.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
I am looking for some opinions and info on the Rough Country lifts for my unlimited, either the 2.5" or 3.25" with the performance 2.2 shocks. I am going to get 35" tires when my stock tires are worn out. I won't be able to afford too much for a lift and Rough Country is really cheap, but is that because of poor quality? Do you get what you pay for? Any other suggestions for a suspension lift at least 2.5"? I am also looking to get an adjustable trackbar and discos. I am considering the JKS track bar and quicker discos. Would anything else be required to run a 2.5" or 3.25" lift?
It's true, we are cheaper... but that is not due to poor quality. We work hard to bring the best value to the market. We get our pricing down by:
  1. We sell direct! we are the manufacturer, warehouse and the outlet.
  2. We concentrate on volume to lower pricing.
  3. We operate on a tight budget. We dont do big time sponsorships, huge trailer rigs touring the country, etc.

Quick Reply: Rough Country Lift Opinions?