Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country Lift

Old 01-10-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live down a 2 mile rough dirt road its rides alot nicer and not all of us have 2000$ to spend on a lift
Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

If your jeep rides better then stock it is due to a wider stance due to larger tires and more side wall to absorb the bumps. Your 4" lift actually does a lot to the geometry to make it ride worse then stock by reducing the wheel base (no adjustable control arms) lowering the roll center and making it less stable in high speed turns and off camber situations due to the drop pitman arm and dropped track bar bracket. The wheels should wander more in rutted roads due to the front being off center to the driver side and the rear being offset to the passenger side. You get additional axle steer due to the angle of your control arms while the suspension articulates (hits bumps)

Cost has nothing to do with it, it is geometry.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If your jeep rides better then stock it is due to a wider stance due to larger tires and more side wall to absorb the bumps. Your 4" lift actually does a lot to the geometry to make it ride worse then stock by reducing the wheel base (no adjustable control arms) lowering the roll center and making it less stable in high speed turns and off camber situations due to the drop pitman arm and dropped track bar bracket. The wheels should wander more in rutted roads due to the front being off center to the driver side and the rear being offset to the passenger side. You get additional axle steer due to the angle of your control arms while the suspension articulates (hits bumps)

Cost has nothing to do with it, it is geometry.
Slander and lies, Rough Country has the best riding suspension or else they'll give you a full refund PLUS shipping!

It's unfortunate that more people haven't had the pleasure of multiple lift kits and adding various components to see what they actually do and how many pieces you've got to add to the puzzle to make it actually ride better.

That being said- it could "feel" better if the stock shocks were blown out and coils collapsed then replaced with a stiffer coil and a new shock. I'm with you though- it takes more than a couple cookie cutter components to make a difference.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair I think RC has always been pretty upfront about their market focus. They never claim to offer the best kits. I do think lower cost products sometimes bridge a gap between nothing and getting your foot in the door so to speak. Ride quality is subjective. Geometry is much less subjective however if you don't really understand that, then you will likely be perfectly happy with your purchase. RC understands this and they are zeroed in on their customer base.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
What makes you want to run this kit vs another brand?
I had the 6" long arm lift on my TJ before I sold it. I loved the lift...but didnt do my research before I bought it. I just want to make sure I do the research and get a lift that is good for me. I am thinking of either this one or the Teraflex 3.5 lift. Still looking around though.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

2 door or 4 door, what are you going to use your jeep for, do you want to replace drive shafts, what size tires ??????? .. come on helps us out here
Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

3.5" lift on 10th Aniv rubi. Ride is Ok. A little rough on road. Great off road. Not a bad lift for the $
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3672087202.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	522779   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1760302136.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	522780   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3196225221.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	522782  
Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

I have had this kit on 2 JK's with no problems. Put 49k on one and have 21k on a 2013 Rubi. I did add AEV drop brackets but that's it. No rock crawling down here and it does great on and off road.

Quick Reply: Rough Country Lift