Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough country coils and sagging

Old 03-07-2020, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough country coils and sagging

So I'm new here and have done some searching but havent really found the answer I'm looking for I guess. I'm tossed between 2 lifts currently. A 3.5" JKS lift with fox shocks around $1100. Also the rough country 3.5" lift that's around $550. I'm big on you get what you pay for as being a diesel owner as well I know how things can be. However I had a xj that had a rough country lift on it when I bought it that got the piss beat out of it and it always road and drove very well. I know it the past though rough countrys coils have been known to sag a fair amount, so my question is have they changed this sagging coil problem?? Also just everyone's general thoughts on the 2 brands. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Tsc_00; 03-07-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Between the two brands, go JKS. Look around for a few minutes and you will find quite a few threads about that particular RC lift. It is dirt cheap for a reason...

If you are open to other suggestions, check out MetalCloak.
The following users liked this post:
Tsc_00 (03-07-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

For our JKs, RC is a crap lift mainly as to how the company tried to address steering geometry compared to everyone else. The ole pickup truck model of using drop pitman arms is a terrible solution on the JK, and you will find post after post after post on here of people with that 3.5" RC lift looking for help cuz their jeep drives like crap. I can't speak a ton to the JKS lift specifically. It wouldn't be my preferred brand, but you can sure do worse.
Tsc_00 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
For our JKs, RC is a crap lift mainly as to how the company tried to address steering geometry compared to everyone else. The ole pickup truck model of using drop pitman arms is a terrible solution on the JK, and you will find post after post after post on here of people with that 3.5" RC lift looking for help cuz their jeep drives like crap. I can't speak a ton to the JKS lift specifically. It wouldn't be my preferred brand, but you can sure do worse.
yeah I think I'm going to steer away from rough country! I never went cheap with my diesel and I dont want to with my jeep just have never actually bought a lift before so wanted as much feed back as possible. What lift would you recommend?
Old 03-08-2020, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Look into metal cloak lifts they are one of the best out there. What size tires are you going to be running? You don't need as much lift to run bigger tires on the JK like you did in the past.most people can get by fine with a 2-2.5" lift and 35" tires. In fact you can run 35's with no lift and flat fenders with proper wheel back spacing.
Tsc_00 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Look into metal cloak lifts they are one of the best out there. What size tires are you going to be running? You don't need as much lift to run bigger tires on the JK like you did in the past.most people can get by fine with a 2-2.5" lift and 35" tires. In fact you can run 35's with no lift and flat fenders with proper wheel back spacing.
I'm going to be running 35s. Want a 3.5" lift because eventually I plan to go to 37s. Really wanna do 37s now but I have heard to many stories about 37s and the Dana 30 front axel
Old 03-08-2020, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsc_00
I'm going to be running 35s. Want a 3.5" lift because eventually I plan to go to 37s. Really wanna do 37s now but I have heard to many stories about 37s and the Dana 30 front axel
It's more than just the axle. A quality coil will get you more actual height than indicated, (unless you are loading it down with armor and gear). With MC 3.5" coils, my light 4door is sitting at 4.5". That should have you thinking about driveshafts and a draglink flip in addition to the lift, along with considerations for upgrades to beefier steering components. And once you go from 35 to 37, you might be needing another new set of rims with lower backspace, or at least adding wheel adapters to move them out far enough.

For the d30, do you have some ideas of what you want to end up with or how long it will be before you swap? And then there is gearing. Will whatever you go to for 35's still be ok for 37's? Or will you gear for the 37's now and live with high rpm's on the 35's? How about lockers/limiteds? Makes sense to put them in with the gears rather than paying all that labor again just for the traction. Anyway, just a suggestion to think about all of it now, before you start. It will likely save you a lot of money and a lot of hassle later on.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It's more than just the axle. A quality coil will get you more actual height than indicated, (unless you are loading it down with armor and gear). With MC 3.5" coils, my light 4door is sitting at 4.5". That should have you thinking about driveshafts and a draglink flip in addition to the lift, along with considerations for upgrades to beefier steering components. And once you go from 35 to 37, you might be needing another new set of rims with lower backspace, or at least adding wheel adapters to move them out far enough.

For the d30, do you have some ideas of what you want to end up with or how long it will be before you swap? And then there is gearing. Will whatever you go to for 35's still be ok for 37's? Or will you gear for the 37's now and live with high rpm's on the 35's? How about lockers/limiteds? Makes sense to put them in with the gears rather than paying all that labor again just for the traction. Anyway, just a suggestion to think about all of it now, before you start. It will likely save you a lot of money and a lot of hassle later on.
It would be awhile before I swap the d30 as I bought the jeep new last year being a left over 2018 jku. I will add bumpers at some point and regear to maybe 4.56s. The 37s are a few years out. Right now I just want to get it higher in the air lol. Getting out of my truck into the jeep makes me feel like im getting in a small car right now lol. I appreciate all the input! Everything is helpful and gives me alot to consider
Old 03-09-2020, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Stay away from the lift shops in VA Beach and out Pungo way. They'll sell anything but when it comes to full adjustment and enjoying it, different story. The only one I'd consider would be ETA and that's only if you do what the owner did with his JKU. YesHe's got pictures of it to give you an idea of what/ how to do yours. You could talk to Robbie there and see if he can pull up pics for you.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah Virginia would be a little far for me. I'm in Maryland! I'm highly debating on just doing it myself in the garage, it's just finding the time to do it as I work so much and dont get many weekends off. Plus we are trying to get our house on the market end of this month so we can build so my time is limited lol

Quick Reply: Rough country coils and sagging