Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country = NO lift

Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country = NO lift

OK, I'm just a little confused....

I started with a 1.75" spacer lift front/rear...then added 3/4" spacers to the front to equal 2.5" front/ 1.75" rear. I recently purchased and installed the Rough Country 2.5" Coil Kit with the 2.2 Shocks...I left the 3/4" spacers in the front, and purchased some 1" spacers for the rear. So, in theory, the front should be lifted about 3.25" and the rear about 3".

OK, so I didn't take before and after measurements like I should have...and it just doesn't look any higher than before...I mean, it should be at least an inch higher in the rear and about 3/4" in the front but it looks the same if not shorter!

Tonight I went to the dealer and measured a stock 2-door...took out the tire measurements so that wouldn't be a factor (my tire measures 32" tall, stock was 30.5"...took out 3/4" for the tire measurement). When measuring the rear, the actual suspension lift I have is about 3/4"...and the front actual lift is about 2.5".

The front I can deal with I guess, but the rear only being 3/4"?? I mean, I even have a 1" spacer on top of the coil which is supposed to create 2" of lift by itself!!

Am I figuring something wrong here? Here's a pic of mine with the new coils and spacers....does this look lifted about 3" to you??

Here's before with just spacers 2.5" front/1.75" rear...

And now with the 2.5" coils with spacers on top....

Old 01-24-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
... I mean, I even have a 1" spacer on top of the coil which is supposed to create 2" of lift by itself!!

Looks Great to me!!!

A 1" coil spacer is supposed to create 2" of lift? I don't get it?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

My RC 2.5 coil lift with shocks was 3" in the front and 2.5" in the rear. I took multiple measurements from various hard points and used a carpenters level to make sure I wasn't skewing the measurement.

"Eyeballing" is a pretty tough way to detect 1" I think....I have enough trouble getting a picture stratight in the living room that way.

Mine is a 4 door, but why don't you take specific measuresments from identifiable points, and then post the results. Someone who has done just the lift can then probably measure their 2 door and see what you really have.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't understand how a 1" spacer gives 2" of lift??? Should it not give 1" of lift?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I still don't understand how a 1" spacer gives 2" of lift??? Should it not give 1" of lift?
Maybe I didn't explain it right....

Before (rear): 1.75" coil spacer = 1.75" of lift

After (rear): 2"(supposedly) new coil + 1" coil spacer = 3/4" of lift

See my problem?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
I mean, I even have a 1" spacer on top of the coil which is supposed to create 2" of lift by itself!!
Meaning that the new coils are supposed to create 2" of lift...then adding the 1" spacer should make it a total of 3", but when measuring things I only came up with about 3/4" of lift....hard to explain without showing ya I guess.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Initial reaction to 3 photos:

1st looks like 3"
2nd looks like 2.5"
3rd looks like 3"

And I've been watching this kind of stuff for months so I can tell the diff..
Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Looks Great to me!!!

A 1" coil spacer is supposed to create 2" of lift? I don't get it?
Same thing happened here. I took the 2.5 spacers out in front which measured almost 3 inches and put in the new RC 2.5 springs and the stock spring pads. I saw no increase in height and maybe even less. I then cut the spacers down to 2 inches, left out the spring pads and installed all 4 and it now it's level and looks like about a 3 inch kit. It looks great for the $237 I paid for the kit plus another $70 or so for the 2 relocate brackets neccessary. It rides ok but now needs more caster and I'm reluctant to do it due to the already 6 degree front u-joint angle.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

looks good from where i sit
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

more before and after...

1.75" rear:

New 2" coils with 1" spacer rear:

Quick Reply: Rough Country = NO lift