Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country 4" Lift

Old 12-13-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had a couple of 4" RC kits installed on jeeps in our club, I helped with one and it seemed to go really well. Of course we were in an actual shop with air tools and there were about 10 of us so the install only took about an hour or so, but still there were no major problems. Neither install seemed to have any problems with the pitman arms, I was working on the rear but don't remember hearing anyone bitching about it.

Here is a pic of my jeep (right) and one of the ones with the 4" RC lift on the Left. I have 35" KM2's and he is on 33" Truxxus MT's and we seem to sit pretty close in the pic but he is actually at least an inch or two taller.

From seeing the it installed the only thing I didn't like was the front cam bolts, I would agree that some adj lower fronts would be a better idea, also some extended brake lines would be better then drop brackets but they do seem to work just fine.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

So, I went out to change my rear trackbar today. Noticed that the bolt for it is pretty much in the left rear coil spring. When I was installing it, I looked at the installation notes and it is on just like in Figure 12 in their pdf. Coil is seated too, or at least I think it is. Anyone have a suggestion? (none of the powdercoating has rubbed off of the spring yet that I can see)
Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

If the rain let's up I'll go out and take a look at mine. I remember it being close, but not that close.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

"Well I was wrong. I inserted the bolt from the rear and it is between the coils but there hasn't been any rubbing. The lift has been on for about 3500 mi. now I think.

Last edited by Bodo; 05-22-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Cool to sum up guys.....

hi jeepers..

i bought the kit usterday and i want to install it tomorro and i want to sum up the information in the thread.. and i have some repeated qustions

1. what should i install from the manufacturer box?? or should i instal all the parts?

2. should i change my driveshaft (BTW, i have an 07 X 2doors Manual tran.)??

3.should i buy a steering stabilizer deferant than the stock??

sorry for repeating the qustions.. and thanx
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bodo
"Well I was wrong. I inserted the bolt from the rear and it is between the coils but there hasn't been any rubbing. The lift has been on for about 3500 mi. now I think.
I rotated the coil 180 degrees to see if it makes a difference. I already have more clearance, so I guess that's good.
Mainly I only went to look at it because I need to take it out to replace my trackbar.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Black 2D JK
hi jeepers..

i bought the kit usterday and i want to install it tomorro and i want to sum up the information in the thread.. and i have some repeated qustions

1. what should i install from the manufacturer box?? or should i instal all the parts?

2. should i change my driveshaft (BTW, i have an 07 X 2doors Manual tran.)??

3.should i buy a steering stabilizer deferant than the stock??

sorry for repeating the qustions.. and thanx
1. Everything but the cam bolts. Buy some new control arms instead. It is strongly recommended that you not slot out your mounts for the cam bolts.
2. If you're going 4", and you're 2door, yes
3. You don't need to. Just dial it in correctly and you'll be fine.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr.McNinja::
I am gonna install mine monday. I took the day off work. Did you have to replace the drag link boot when you took the drag link loose from the pitman? Did you use the pickelfork? If you did replace it; where did you get the new drag link bootfrom?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Didn't use a picklefork, had to take it to someone with a press to get it out. So no, I didn't damage the boot. I have been told that you can get them at advance auto, or the equivalent.
Just make sure you have a 33mm socket for the pitman arm, a puller (that is, if you change your mind and want to remove it), a good torque wrench that can put 125 ftlbs, and the rest of the stuff is listed pretty well.
Definitely use the picklefork if you've got one, and take it off before anything else, because once you unbolt it, it is pretty hard to get the tie rod end out of the arm.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Didn't use a picklefork, had to take it to someone with a press to get it out. So no, I didn't damage the boot. I have been told that you can get them at advance auto, or the equivalent.
Just make sure you have a 33mm socket for the pitman arm, a puller (that is, if you change your mind and want to remove it), a good torque wrench that can put 125 ftlbs, and the rest of the stuff is listed pretty well.
Definitely use the picklefork if you've got one, and take it off before anything else, because once you unbolt it, it is pretty hard to get the tie rod end out of the arm.
I am gonna go on and remove it. It is crazy not too. Thanks for all the help. I think it will go pretty smooth. Might just pull draglink off and use a press like you said. Those coils are pretty heavy. I put them in the basement today.

Quick Reply: Rough Country 4" Lift