Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country 4" Lift

Old 12-11-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to run 37s but i dont want to deal with those.. did yall put the pitman arm on because I know on a tj you should not put a pitman arm because of bump steer. should I get front and rear lower control arms
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes it comes with a dropped pitman arm.
I got front lower control arms, didn't get the back though. Figured if the lift kit didn't want you to cam out the back, you didn't need an adjustment.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good Dr.McNinja... I am gonna buy this kit tomorrow. I bought superlift front lower control arms and front adjustable trackbar last night. How much trouble did you have putting the springs in. Did you need a coil compressor? You didn't use the drop pitman, since you have adjustable trackbars? Drop pitman with adjustable trackbar is bad. Is my thinking correct. Looks great... How long did the install take..

Last edited by Jusaplaya; 12-11-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
Looks good Dr.McNinja... I am gonna buy this kit tomorrow. I bought superlift front lower control arms and front adjustable trackbar last night. How much trouble did you have putting the springs in. Did you need a coil compressor? You didn't use the drop pitman, since you have adjustable trackbars? Drop pitman with adjustable trackbar is bad. Is my thinking correct. Looks great... How long did the install take..
By myself, never having put a lift on, I started in earnest at 9, was in the shower at 530. Pretty much everyone uses the drop pitman, that I've seen anyway. I put it in. I spent a fair amount of time PM'ing wayoflife over the last few days, and reading their write-up.
Front springs weren't too awful bad. Just make sure the shocks are free and it requires a little nudge. For some reason, the back ones were more difficult, and I used a rachet strap to shrink them down a hair. Then I must have moved something, because they wouldn't say seated, and I had to raise the jack up to keep them there.
Just make sure you take the brake lines out and pull them from the slot, because their bracket can hang up even with the bolt removed.
I figure my new adjustable arms will be here about when I have to retorque all the other bolts as well, so it will all end well.
I recommend an air wrench if you've got one. I'm a little sore.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. I will be installing mine day after christmas. Hopefully.. I have never installed a lift kit either. I think I am gonna run without drop pitman for a little while. Just see how it acts. From what I have read, it looks like alot of fun to take off the pitman. Have a nice night.. Thanks for the ratchet strap idea...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

i was wondering if you had just the lower front controll arms on your jk or both upper and lower......also ......what about the rear control arms. I would like to do the setup u have i like how much flex u got any info you have would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
I do have a question for the other people with the install. How hard was it to get your tie rod end out of the pittman arm? I've played with it for hours, given up, and going to get some new tools tomorrow I guess. Also need to clean those threads up a little bit from where I was "encouraging" it to come off (not hitting directly with the hammer though).
I had a lot of trouble trying to get it apart. I was using a pickle fork, and like you I tried alot to no avail. Finally, after taking a break, wondering what I was gonna do, I walked back outside, smacked the thing a couple more times and it popped right out. Of course, the rubber cup was damaged but Advance Auto had a replacement. Some people told me to use a "puller" but I didn't have one at the time.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
Thanks for the advice. I will be installing mine day after christmas. Hopefully.. I have never installed a lift kit either. I think I am gonna run without drop pitman for a little while. Just see how it acts. From what I have read, it looks like alot of fun to take off the pitman. Have a nice night.. Thanks for the ratchet strap idea...
I'm pretty sure you are supposed to use the dropped pittman to keep the draglink parallel with the axle. If you are concerned, call RC. They have great customer service. I called them several times and they were always helpful. Also, on the rear coils, I didn't need to compress the coils to install them. Just remove the mounting brackets for the E-brake from the tub, remove the brackets for the brake lines and abs wires, shocks, swaybar links and trackbar were removed also. (trackbar was just removed from the axle bracket) The axle dropped plenty low enough to install them. I forgot to remove the breather hose from my differential and it disconnected itself. No big deal since it just slips onto the fitting.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Some wide angle shots. And before anyone calls me out, no, the control arms and trackbar aren't on yet. They're in the mail. Ask Dave.

End on, next to the Patriot. Used to be a little closer in height.

Some old abandoned gas station.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

For the record, I would like to say that this lift, being the first I ever put on, wasn't mentally challenging. And really, once you get everything loose that you're getting loose anyway, the springs fit pretty easily and don't need a lot of encouragement.
That being said, some caveats.
1. If you take RC's word for it on the cover sheet, the internet, etc, for the list of tools you will need, you will be out one very important item. The pitman arm is held on by a 33mm (not 34, unless Toads is different than mine) nut. Even though I had read through the instructions twice, I still never caught that part until I was to that point of the install. Thankfully, advance autoparts is only 1/2 mile down the road, and I can ride a bike.
2. I would recommend anyone that has a Jeep that is a year old and planning to do this, to go ahead and get a can of penetrating oil and hit their nuts and bolts today. Even if you're doing the install next year. A good 4 hour soak is what it took to get my pitman arm off.
3. Removing the tie rod end from the pitman arm was the most difficult part. Thankfully, the folks at the Jeep store were nice enough to let me use their press and get it out, because no hammer, puller, or anything else I owned would get it off.
4. Jeep likes to use their shocks as limiting straps. Knowing this keeps the brake from crushing your legs, arms, or head when you get that bolt undone. Having your brake lines loose before this helps you from having to buy new ones of these as well.
5. You really can do it with only hand tools, as I did (mostly), but an air compressor and impact gun would really make it easier.
6. Be prepared to enlarge your vocabulary of cuss words unless you have a friend nearby. Lots of times I was trying to hold 3 things at once and mostly failing. I have bruises on my head to prove it.

Quick Reply: Rough Country 4" Lift