Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country 3.25 lift with 2.2 shocks

Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country 3.25 lift with 2.2 shocks

I am new to the Jeep world, but I have worked with rough country products before, I was wondering if this kit is any good? I have heard good and bad about it but the price keeps bringing me back. I have an 08 jeep wrangler unlimited on 33s. I want a kit that flexes really well and will eventually hold 35s. Is the RC lift my best option on a low budget?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the 3.5 series 2 last night but it has the n2.0 shocks and is a lil more in price. After I get a few miles ill chime back in
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

How hard was the install? Any hidden things I should know going in?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have the 4 inch x flex system running 35s. Rides pretty well. I am having trouble with my tires balancing but with stock tires it rode great. Hardly any difference between stock and lifted(with stock tires)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Only things I noticed was some of the bolts sizes listed was wrong but other than that it wasn't bad. My crush sleeves for the front shock where to short also so the rubber compressed more than normal. Oh and it says 4hr install time Ha! Maybe with a team of guys lol. It took me a total of 9.5hrs with no help
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EsByrd
Only things I noticed was some of the bolts sizes listed was wrong but other than that it wasn't bad. My crush sleeves for the front shock where to short also so the rubber compressed more than normal. Oh and it says 4hr install time Ha! Maybe with a team of guys lol. It took me a total of 9.5hrs with no help
Would you recommend going with this lift or just running a 2.5 coil lift since I'm only running 33s ??? I want something with a good bit of flex, and potential for 35s
Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well so far I like how this lift handles but my personal opinion is 3.25 or 3.5 is to much lift for 33s. I mean u would have plenty of clearance for the 33s with it but that much lift doesn't look that great to me. There is a lot of guys running that height with 33s tho so it's all personal preference.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robbyprc
I want a kit that flexes really well and will eventually hold 35s. Is the RC lift my best option on a low budget?
I think it flexes just fine. Here I have the 2.5" RC coil lift with 2.2 shocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	366917

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1492.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	366918

Last edited by TheTerminator; 09-17-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
I think it flexes just fine. Here I have the 2.5" RC coil lift with 2.2 shocks.

Attachment 366917

Attachment 366918
that is exactly what im looking for. The kit only comes with the coils and shocks. Is there anything else i need to order while im there?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

You would need longer rear swaybar links, because stock ones will be too short after the lift. You will also need quick disconnects for the front, since you said you want it to flex well. These 2 things are the absolute must I would do. Then you can add an adjustable front trackbar to center the front axle. At first I did it just for looks, 'cause I hated seeing it so off center (it was obvious when you looked at it), but then I realized it helped quite a bit with bump steer, so now when I go over bumps at speed, the Jeep drives much more straight, without being thrown around. I added the RC rear trackbar bracket to recenter the rear axle too, but it didn't recenter it completely. But the bracket is really cheap, so oh well... it made it a bit more centered. I'm still thinking whether or not I should get rear brake line relocation bracket. It seems like it should have enough slack on a drop, but in the couple pics I posted, I verified the tension on the brake lines, and it was tight. I wonder how much more it can take. For a 3.25" lift I would definitely need to do something about the brake lines, as they will tear off on a drop.

As far as the kit goes, my only complain are the rear springs seem to be a bit short to me. When the rear is loaded, the shocks are maybe 2" away from the bump stops. I don't know if other kits are like this or not, but to me it seems like the rear springs should be either longer, or firmer. I can't even imagine having a steel bumper with a tire carrier back there, with a couple fuel canisters.

Once you get everything installed, then check your uptravel. You might need to trim your fenders (I had to with 35's), and you might need to add longer bump stops. With RC shocks it is easy to do, as I simply cut 3/4" rubber hose and put them above the built in bump stops on the shocks. I'm still experimenting with it, and might remove them later on if I decide they're unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Rough Country 3.25 lift with 2.2 shocks