Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough country 2.5'' with OME LT shocks?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
I would not do OME LT (long travel) shocks with a 2.5" BB if you will ever take it offroad.
  1. Without extended bumpstops, the shocks will bottom out on full compression. You will end up blowing the seals.
  2. Without rear coil retainers, your rear springs will unseat and maybe fall out on full articulation, and I don't know how you would do an upper coil retainer with the RC BB puck.
  3. Without longer brake lines, they will be your limiting factor. On full articulation, you will end up damaging your front and rear brake lines.
  4. Without longer swaybar links, you risk having them invert the wrong direction on full articulation.

If you meant to ask if you can run OME shocks that are not 11" travel (LT/long travel) shocks, then that would be fine.
He's already running 37" tires. It's not going to matter if he has long travel shocks or not. If you look he is running 37's on a 2" lift so there is much more to worry about than a OME long travel shock. It isn't going to matter if he puts them on there now or later it isn't going to hurt anything. Why not go ahead and upgrade now for future purposes instead of him having to buy things again later when he does get set up correctly? Right now with just a little flex he has to be hitting the fenders hard or the bump stops he has put in. So, I really don't see any reason not to go ahead and do them as they really are not going to matter if they are short or long travel at this time. Even a stock shock is not going to fully extend before hitting the fenders or the bump stop he is using.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
He's already running 37" tires. It's not going to matter if he has long travel shocks or not. If you look he is running 37's on a 2" lift so there is much more to worry about than a OME long travel shock. It isn't going to matter if he puts them on there now or later it isn't going to hurt anything. Why not go ahead and upgrade now for future purposes instead of him having to buy things again later when he does get set up correctly? Right now with just a little flex he has to be hitting the fenders hard or the bump stops he has put in. So, I really don't see any reason not to go ahead and do them as they really are not going to matter if they are short or long travel at this time. Even a stock shock is not going to fully extend before hitting the fenders or the bump stop he is using.
LOW BLOW!!!!!!!! "Why not go ahead and upgrade now for future purposes instead of him having to buy things again later when he does get set up correctly?" WT @#$% THIS SET UP HAS BEEN WORKING FINE FOR OVER A YEAR AND A HALF WITH MY TYPE OF WHEELING.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

and its
2.5in spacer lift
2in body lift
1.5in wheel spacers
added washers to steering stops
flat fenders
trimmed and excessive amount out of the pinch weld
Off Road Evolution C2 upper front axle C gussets ordered
i drive the jk on the weekends not in dire need of new gears
i wheel maybe twice a month

how is my set up incorrect for my needs

Last edited by cis911; 01-07-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cis911
and its
2.5in spacer lift
2in body lift
1.5in wheel spacers
added washers to steering stops
flat fenders
trimmed and excessive amount out of the pinch weld
Off Road Evolution C2 upper front axle C gussets ordered
i drive the jk on the weekends not in dire need of new gears
i wheel maybe twice a month

how is my set up incorrect for my needs

I didn't mean it in the sense you think I was coming across. I am not bashing your Jeep or your setup. What I was trying to state is the LT shocks are fine for you to run.
In a earlier post I read from you that stated you were only doing two shocks right now so I was trying to say go ahead and run them and upgrade to the other set later.
My comments of "If you look he is running 37's on a 2" lift so there is much more to worry about than a OME long travel shock" and "Why not go ahead and upgrade now for future purposes instead of him having to buy things again later when he does get set up correctly?" were before I saw that you had a 2" body lift and I assumed you had more plans for the Jeep to have it correctly set up for 37's. I was just going by your original post information of running a RC 2.5" lift and didn't want you to have to spend more money later on when you could run the shocks now and be fine because you would be hitting the fenders way before the shock could fully expand. I think it would suck to buy the standard shock and then later on have to go buy the long travels. Now that I have read your whole setup completely the long travels make even more sense now than when I thought you were only on 2.5" of lift. I guess I could have worded it differently and paid more attention to your sig.
Sorry if you thought I meant otherwise.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

you know what my friend we need to grab a lol its all good
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cis911
you know what my friend we need to grab a lol its all good
If you ever make it WV or I ever make it to CA we will definitely have a few! Or we can ship each other a case through UPS. Lots of good local brew around here.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

well i will be stationed in north carolina by feb 1 2012

Quick Reply: Rough country 2.5'' with OME LT shocks?