Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country 2.2 Shock BROKEN!!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not too sure if they should cover it as it was used when you bought it. Most of the time the warranty on products is only covered for the original owner. I just bought a Blackberry Torch used and it's only covered for the 1st owner.

It sucks that it happened but they could say that it was blown before you put it on or dropped and had a damage prior to it being installed.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bkw
You know what sucks when you've got a Jeep full of kids doing 65mph on the highway??

Your rear shock fails.

Rough Country 2.2 drivers side rear shock:

but do you think RC should cover this?? .
Looking at the shock, I see the bottom is still attached to the vehicle mount and the top eyelet is complete. The shock did not fail. Your top mount failed. Then while you were driving 65 mph, you beat the snot out of it and the rubber insert/ bushing was ripped out by the road surface. How is that Rough Country's fault?

More likely that you damaged it either when you installed it or you hit something that caused the top mount to break.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 PM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by A/C Guy
Looking at the shock, I see the bottom is still attached to the vehicle mount and the top eyelet is complete. The shock did not fail. Your top mount failed. Then while you were driving 65 mph, you beat the snot out of it and the rubber insert/ bushing was ripped out by the road surface. How is that Rough Country's fault?

More likely that you damaged it either when you installed it or you hit something that caused the top mount to break.
The bar pin failed. It rusted completely through in less than a year and the other side broke when I replaced the shock. The shocks were also blown. If you take a look at the drivers side shock, it's compressed and the piston is covered in oil.

How is any of this not RC's fault? With RC, you definitely get what you pay for.

Whatever the case, I moved up to TF/Bilstein and I couldnt be any happier.

Cody- sucks that it happened to you too :(
Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

I had all four shocks go out on me within 2 months of running their shocks, I guess I recieved a bad batch, they did replace them, however they are sitting in my garage collecting dust. I went back to running Rancho's 9000's --good old faithful. Still running their springs though...
Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On any shock I would get the JKS pin bar eliminator
Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been pretty rough on my RC 2.2's and have had 2 failures.. two started leaking.. and both times RC said no problem.. and shipped it out. They just asked for a picture of the busted shock. That sucks bro..
Old 10-30-2010, 09:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a couple shocks leak oil over the years, and some just plain wear out... but I have never broken one like that! Maybe I am going too easy on my rides?

Quick Reply: Rough Country 2.2 Shock BROKEN!!