Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rotten egg smell

Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So not cats Never had a cat go bad. Don't know anyone else that has either.
HAVE heard of rice rockets going through them but only after mods to turn them into F1 contenders with mods and additives.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I read that the clutch master cylinder going bad might case a burning/ rotten egg smell. My clutch feels fine but has any one heard of this ?
Old 02-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Former Member

Could be the rotten eggs under the hood or Fluffy the cat next door likes a nice warm washroom in the neighbor's engine compartment. Don't think possible? I drive the jeep at a minimum of twice a day. Dickhead next door feeds the squirrels peanuts in the shell and I found a nest under the hood. Them damned squirrels might have had a lot of miles on them
If you have remote start the 2 beeps aren't to warn the kids....It's to warn Fuffy and the squirrels that the fan belt is about to tear their sorry hides off.

ALSO HAD A PROPANE TANK HOSE CHEWED UP on my travel trailer.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 02-24-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm having the same issue on my '13 with 110xxx km. I get a rotten egg smell after about 5 minutes of driving it from it being sitting all night. The smell last for maybe 5 minutes and then it's gone. Seems to only happen in cooler weather.

Has anyone else experienced this and found the cause since this thread is over a year old?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2016, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013Wrangler
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm having the same issue on my '13 with 110xxx km. I get a rotten egg smell after about 5 minutes of driving it from it being sitting all night. The smell last for maybe 5 minutes and then it's gone. Seems to only happen in cooler weather. Has anyone else experienced this and found the cause since this thread is over a year old? Thanks
A "rotten egg" or sulphuric smell is usually a key indicator that your catalytic converters are junk. The metals inside break apart and clog it. Have you noticed any loss in power/fuel mileage?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013Wrangler
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm having the same issue on my '13 with 110xxx km. I get a rotten egg smell after about 5 minutes of driving it from it being sitting all night. The smell last for maybe 5 minutes and then it's gone. Seems to only happen in cooler weather.

Has anyone else experienced this and found the cause since this thread is over a year old?

Thanks
I have had the same problem for about a year and a half. My jeep is an 08 with 30,000 miles on it. It comes and goes and I have checked everything and have recently just given up on it. Notice it more during the winter months. Definitely not the battery, cats or a carton of eggs under the seat.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your running a tuner like superchips and have it set on performance it will sometimes give you that smell
Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it coming out of the ventilation system?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
A "rotten egg" or sulphuric smell is usually a key indicator that your catalytic converters are junk. The metals inside break apart and clog it. Have you noticed any loss in power/fuel mileage?
I haven't noticed a loss of power and fuel mileage is hard to tell. Running 35s won't help fuel mileage on any vehicle. Lol.

I'll have to see if I can tell if it's coming from the ventilation system and try and narrow it down.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

This is a pretty good video which shows you how to diagnose if your Cat converter is bad or not, as well it shows you what your primary and secondary O2 sensors should be reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VZ5K8n5jj0 The JK has 4 O2 sensors and 2 Cat converters.

Tools needed for diagnosis:
OB2 II basic scanner
Laser Thermometer

Summary of diagnosis:
The Primary (before cat) O2 sensor's voltage should be alternating in a sinusoidal manor going between 0-1V, but not outside of that range.

The secondary (after cat) O2 sensor's voltage should be remaining at a consistent voltage level.

The inlet of the Cat's temperature reading should be lower than the outlet.
The outlet of the Cat's temperature reading should be 100-200 deg F higher than the inlet.

Also if your O2 sensors are bad, you will in most cases see a check engine light.

Quick Reply: Rotten egg smell