Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rotation of Nitto Trail Grapplers- Learned my lesson the hard way!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotation of Nitto Trail Grapplers- Learned my lesson the hard way!

Well we took the JK on our wedding road trip of over 5000 miles. Once we got back I never got around to rotating my 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. Well this past weekend I finally did and they had roughly 6000 miles on them since last rotation.

I told the shop to rotate them in X pattern. They did, and I got in the JK and headed home. Immediately I notice a loud humming sound I have never heard, hard top on and windows up. I roll down the window to hear this loud roar coming from the tires. It is louder than Mud Grapplers I have heard.

I am assuming that the wheels got flat on one side and they are now trying to flatten the other side out which is creating the loud roar. Since the day I rotated them the noise has gotten gradually quieter but NOWHERE near the sound the day I put them on.

Moral of the story- make sure you rotate these tires with EVERY oil change...it makes a HUGE difference!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I just hit 3K on my Nitto's and thanks to you will be getting them rotated next week. I spent so much on these tires that i really hope that last for a while. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Are they a directional tire?
Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Default I thought the same thing...but I don't think they are

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Are they a directional tire?
the tread pattern is a mirror image so I don't think they are.... if I am looking at the right the tread pattern would be the same rotating either way..

good idea though....
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jmullins318
Hey I just hit 3K on my Nitto's and thanks to you will be getting them rotated next week. I spent so much on these tires that i really hope that last for a while. Thanks for the heads up.
other than this I LOVE these tires....!!!! I have about 14000 miles on mine and they look almost like new!!! We will see how many miles they get me though!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have never seen these tires on a JK, but would like to. They were really new tires when I had chosen my Duratracs. Maybe I'll see ya around DFW some time.

BTW, I notice a slight noise increase when I first rotate my tires as well, but it seems to go away.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dont know if it would help but generally you move the rear tires to the front and cross the fronts to the rear. My BFG KM2 tires make a fair amount of noise for about 500 miles every time I rotate them so maybe yours will even out
Old 09-17-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

rear wheel drive vehicles use the following tire rotation pattern=back to front/front to back same side correct???
Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tire Rotation Nitto Grapplers

Thanks guys, your tire rotation helped a lot. I've had this truck for 24 years come September. It is a 1957 International F120 4x4 Factory. Used to run Goodyear Ranglers. Tire performance and updates over the years have been spectacular. I moved onto Dunlop All Terrain equivalent of Goodyear BFG All Terrain. Currently, I'm on my first set of Nitto Grappler All Terrain tires and I love them. The past three rotations have been front to rear. I went on Nitto's website and they recommended front to rear, rear crossed to fronts. Gonna give it a try. You little guys all have fun out there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0385.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	559808
Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I do a five tire clock wise rotation with my trail grapplers. At 30,000+ they are doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Rotation of Nitto Trail Grapplers- Learned my lesson the hard way!