Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rotated tires = DW

Old 07-16-2016, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
How often have you rotated these tires?
I rotate every 5k miles. This is the first time I've had an issue
Old 07-16-2016, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
I'd be willing to bet that it is his stability control kicking in and not "death wobble". Betting also that the rotor retaining clips are still installed and those 20" 35's are way out of balance. Coupled with an off-center steering wheel it's a recipe for SC to kick in.
Steering wheel is centered. What would the rotor retain clips have to do with it?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrpmtork
Steering wheel is centered. What would the rotor retain clips have to do with it?
Factory wheels are relieved on the reverse to account for them. Aftermarket wheels are not. It causes the wheels to not seat correctly at the hub, and eventually come loose. They might appear to be mounted tight but do not remain so for very long. It'd be worth checking.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

That makes sense. I'm checking all today
Old 07-17-2016, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

This can definitely happen. I had the same issue with a set of tires. As soon as I rotated them the death wobble went away. And yes I know what death wobble is before anyone says oh it's prolly something else. At a certain speed it would shimmy a little but if I hit a small pot hole or bump or something like that, full on death wobble. I later changed those tires out and then didn't have an issue from then on out for sure.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok. I took off the front wheels and there are no rotor retainers. I reinstalled them and just for giggles raises my tp from 30 to 35psi. The violent wobble went away but the is still a slight shimmy. I'm guessing it was magic. But I still think I've got a wheel balance issue that showed up.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrpmtork
Ok. I took off the front wheels and there are no rotor retainers. I reinstalled them and just for giggles raises my tp from 30 to 35psi. The violent wobble went away but the is still a slight shimmy. I'm guessing it was magic. But I still think I've got a wheel balance issue that showed up.
Have someone drive your JK down the road in a place where you can watch each tire, first from one lane, then the other. It's a great way to see what's going on in terms of bent axle flanges, out of balance tires, worn shock absorbers, etc. If you have a pair of two-way radios it helps.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get them balanced. Same thing happened to me recently after a tire rotation. Tire shop said one of the front tires was out of balance. It wasn't a problem when that tire was on the rear axle.

The fresh balance took care of the problem. I also took a torque wrench to the front axle and steering linkage.

Quick Reply: Rotated tires = DW