Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rotated tires = DW

Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotated tires = DW

I've searched but couldn't find an answer...

I rotated my tires and now have a bad shake with occasional DW only in the 40-45mph range. Slower or faster is just fine. Because it's a shake and not a vibration I'm not thinking its wheel balance, but can't figure out why it started with a tire rotation. Wheels are tight.

It's a 2015 JKU, 2.5" Pro Comp spring lift, 17k miles, 35x12.50-20s.

Thanks for any ideas
Old 07-15-2016, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesnt sound like DW, but like an unbalanced wheel. possible causes
1) you knocked off the balancing weights when you rotated the wheels
2) if it's a 5 wheel rotation, the spare was out of balance
3) if this was a 4 wheel rotation it likely one of the tires that you moved from back to front. i have always found that off balance wheels affect the jeep more when they are on the front.

to test i'd swap one side F<-->R and see if its better. if not, swap the other side.
if it gets better have the wheel you moved back rebalanced.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

That crossed my mind. With 100lb wheels and a 90lb back my ambition hasn't been the greatest. But that's what 14 year old sons are for. Haha! I'll try it tomorrow and see.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

Same thing happened to me. The tires were near the end of their lives, (76,000 miles), and one that went to the front was out of balance, and could not be balanced. I took the hint and replaced all the tires.
No problems since. This second set has 50,000 miles on them.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I had this same problem as well. I experienced it for 3 days straight. On the 4th day I filled my tires to 35 psi, they were on the low side. It stopped occurring after filling the pressure. So check your tire pressure. It could be one of your tires were low in the back and got moved to the front during the rotation.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're experiencing this at a constant speed time after time it's a wheel issue. Granted DW doesn't just come out of nowhere, there's most likely an underlying steering issue that you need to address go through planmans checklist and DW will be prevented. I've dealt with it numerous times and with proper maintenance and quality parts DW can be eliminated.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

How often have you rotated these tires?
Old 07-16-2016, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that it is his stability control kicking in and not "death wobble". Betting also that the rotor retaining clips are still installed and those 20" 35's are way out of balance. Coupled with an off-center steering wheel it's a recipe for SC to kick in.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Same thing happened to me. The tires were near the end of their lives, (76,000 miles), and one that went to the front was out of balance, and could not be balanced. I took the hint and replaced all the tires. No problems since. This second set has 50,000 miles on them.
I've only got 18k miles on them. The lift and tires went on the day I brought it home.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I had this same problem as well. I experienced it for 3 days straight. On the 4th day I filled my tires to 35 psi, they were on the low side. It stopped occurring after filling the pressure. So check your tire pressure. It could be one of your tires were low in the back and got moved to the front during the rotation.
I normally run 30psi and they are all still at 30

Quick Reply: Rotated tires = DW