Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof top tent?

Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jksteve2013
This is what i ordered for the simple fact that it can pivot to the back of the jeep to get the roof off. RTT should be great up top!

http://www.safarijeeps.com/jk-unlimi...007-up-2-door/
Hopefully it works better on a two door.

I had a Congo Cage before I bought my Gobi and I found it wasn't great with a RTT on top.

But I have an unlimited.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pilosopo

Hopefully it works better on a two door.

I had a Congo Cage before I bought my Gobi and I found it wasn't great with a RTT on top.

But I have an unlimited.

What you did not like about the RTT mounted on the Congo Cage? I got the CC mostly for my kayak and have been thinking about an RTT.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
What you did not like about the RTT mounted on the Congo Cage? I got the CC mostly for my kayak and have been thinking about an RTT.
With the roof tent on the rack would sway noticeably.

As you know with your rack, the main attachments have rubber bushings in them; my rack would flex at those points when loaded. It would sway in uncomfortably off road to the extent it exaggerated typical body notions.

I also bolted my RTT to the long bars directly and not to a basket of some sort. After a few trips my roof bars had a perceptible bow to them.

I was satisfied with it in every way except for its ability to handle a RTT. Oh, and my gobi is much quieter
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pilosopo

With the roof tent on the rack would sway noticeably.

As you know with your rack, the main attachments have rubber bushings in them; my rack would flex at those points when loaded. It would sway in uncomfortably off road to the extent it exaggerated typical body notions.

I also bolted my RTT to the long bars directly and not to a basket of some sort. After a few trips my roof bars had a perceptible bow to them.

I was satisfied with it in every way except for its ability to handle a RTT. Oh, and my gobi is much quieter

Thanks for the heads-up!

I just got mine and still have to install it. $200 for an almost new one on Craigslist. The guy was parting the Jeep to sell it. The main purpose is to carry my kayak. I need to take the Rugged Ridge lightbar in the front. The windshield light brackets do not fit the CC bracket so I have to improvise something.

So, the other racks do not use a rubber bushing as the CC? It seems a good idea replacing it with a brass bushing. I wasn't so thrilled by it anyway.

As for the horizontal bars sagging it's a good alert. So I'll have to add a couple extra bars to hold the weight.

I read about the noise and saw that some folks wrap a bungie cord on the front and they say it reduces the wind noise quite a bit.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Thanks for the heads-up!

I just got mine and still have to install it. $200 for an almost new one on Craigslist. The guy was parting the Jeep to sell it. The main purpose is to carry my kayak. I need to take the Rugged Ridge lightbar in the front. The windshield light brackets do not fit the CC bracket so I have to improvise something.

So, the other racks do not use a rubber bushing as the CC? It seems a good idea replacing it with a brass bushing. I wasn't so thrilled by it anyway.

As for the horizontal bars sagging it's a good alert. So I'll have to add a couple extra bars to hold the weight.

I read about the noise and saw that some folks wrap a bungie cord on the front and they say it reduces the wind noise quite a bit.
Yeah my gobi is rigidly mounted at the front and uses plastic/delrin at the rear.

The gobi also has bumpers/stabilizers that rest on the corners of the jeep to make it that much more stable.

For the price you got the Congo cage you can't go wrong though. Honestly it was fine for everything IMO, just lacking when using a roof tent.

And it was noisy. Oh, and I find it easier to remove my freedom panels with the Gobi

Quick Reply: Roof top tent?