Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof Racks. Thule vs Yakima vs Other?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Racks. Thule vs Yakima vs Other?

I did do a search but the last thread on Thule vs Yakima is from 2009 so I figure some of their products have probably changed & more people may have some input to offer up.

Mainly we're big Skiers & Snowboarders. We've always piled everything in the back but now-a-days it seems we're rolling up with 4 or 5 people in the Jeep now so interior storage is now a premium. We need to move the ski's & snowboards to the roof (not interested in hitch mounts).

I've been looking at Yakima & Thule's websites but frankly, they're assuming you understand their systems & already know what you need. Why does this have to be so complicated? Can someone offer some guidance here?

I did find this Jeep Wrangler Hardtop kit HERE. I think I like the rail systems more than the gutter mounts as it offers more flexibility in the future but at this point I'm not ruling out anything as I'd like to see what everyone has to offer before making an informed decision.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

They haven't changed much in years.
There is another thread someone started today that is similar.
I use the Thule Gutter mounts and Box.
If you are frugal like me, get on craigslist and save big bucks!
You'll need the 58" bars.

Here's mine. Works great. Over 10,000 miles straight on it on all types of terrain and plenty of speed.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

You might consider the MBRP overhead rack. It isn't inexpensive, but it is extremely versatile (rated at up to 500 pounds, IIRC). MBRP says it's "compatible with hundreds of Thule and Yakima racks".

The basket you see in my images is optional--you can have just rails that you attach other accessories to if that suits your needs.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 08-26-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I went with the yakima hardtop kit and got a cargo box. Works great. Low
Profile when the bars are off and there a dozens of options depending on what you haul. No leaks either (I was worried about the leaks).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3469052879.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	202717   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2378098605.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	202718   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2499517773.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	202719  

Last edited by BadPunkin; 08-26-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming. I'm also interested in hearing about what people don't like about their racks as well.

Anyone with a Thule or different brand like Inno ski/ snowboard rack what to chime in?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I researched roof racks for a while before taking the plunge. I hate the full designs that go all the way and have to attach to the body or stock rear bumper as well as the front light brackets. The MBRP tube one was pretty awesome, but $1000 for the base alone and no basket was bonkers.

Then I saw a member here with a Garvin Roof Rack. It's not the puny "Track Rack" version which doesn't even make sense. I got their 4x5 Off Road Series Track Rack. Simply mount the two tracks/rails to your hardtop, assemble the basket and throw it on there. It's got a great, durable finish and holds a crap load of weight.

Quick Reply: Roof Racks. Thule vs Yakima vs Other?