Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof Racks - are they worth the crazy prices?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Kargo Master Congo Cage a look. Simple 15 minute install/uninstall by myself. Leaves a small footprint when rack is removed. Also allows for easy operation of soft top and hardtop panel. I only run mine when I need it.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

thanks to all. Gobi definitely seems to be the right answer - just have to stomach the $1500+ buyin I suppose.

Seriously though - thanks for the responses.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't regret it at all. Looks great, works awesome!
FWIW, I haven't noticed much change in mpg's. Maybe 1 mpg less if that? I just fill the tank up when the light goes on anyhow. And for those who think they can just pack better and fit everything inside rather than getting a rack, don't really need a rack in the first place. I use mine for things that can not fit inside. For example: 9' longboards, multiple short boards(surf), paddle boards, up to 14' pieces of lumber, ladders, my wife's mom etc., etc., etc...
Old 11-24-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

not just for carrying kayaks as i do alot, but definitely helps since el dog comes everywhere i go, he is stuck in the back, stuff up top if i need the bench available.

have the gobi, only issue is the flapping with the soft top on in the summer, havent seem to fix it yet, tried noodles and what not.

i wonder how the new LOD does with the soft top?!?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a Kargo Master also. Quite sturdy and suits well what I want of it (carrying my kayak).

Mark Doiron hit the mark on the top weight issue. I agree with him.

Another thing you should consider. If you have a soft top and like to run it in the SunRider position make sure you measure the distance between rack and soft top. Most will not allow you to do that. It's all open or all closed.

I took my Kargo Master to a shop and asked them to move the top longitudinal bars to the side. Now I can not only open and close the soft top without having to tilt the rack but can also use it in the SunRider position. If you want I can post a picture.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much wind noise do these racks create?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlampe
My GOBI made quite a bit of noise until I got the Air-Dam dialed in, other than that I wouldn't say its that bad but I have yet to drive with the roof off. That being said, the roof rack was well worth the money for me, having 2 kids and going on week long camping trips I needed the space for all the gear. I like how low profile the rack is, and how there are quite a few bolt on accessories, and how there is an expansion drop in rack for overtop the freedom panels.

Only good picture I have of my 14 with the rack.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dlampe

No noise on my Kargo Master even with soft top open on highways.

However, after I installed the LED light bar a whistle started coming up. It starts and stops as I increase speed. The problem with this one is that if I get a headwind the speed threshold varies. So, I'm trying to figure out some kind of aerodynamic dampener. It's not loud but I'd be happier without it.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I need to see a pic of a 4 dr with a rack while running a bikini top or even no top. Someone must have a pic, I just cant find one. Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone able to post pics of Gobi with no top or soft top?? I too am racking my mind on roof racks. I like going topless and have both tops so I would prefer to not make going topless a big challenge.

Thanks in advance for responses!!

Quick Reply: Roof Racks - are they worth the crazy prices?