Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof rack question

Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roof rack question

Does it seem feasible to remove a roof rack when you are not using it so that one could enjoy the hardtop off option and then reattach the rack when needed? Does this sound ridiculous? I suppose you would save some money on gas with it off as well. I want a roof rack but I don't want to give up the flexibility of being able to take the hardtop off. Thoughts? I will probably use the roof rack 2 or three times a year for a couple weeks at a time.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the aev, seems easiest to take on and off. I have the gobi and love it. What are you using the rack for? If you need it for extra gear and don't want to take it on and off look at an m416 trailer
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by skibovr6
Go with the aev, seems easiest to take on and off. I have the gobi and love it. What are you using the rack for? If you need it for extra gear and don't want to take it on and off look at an m416 trailer
The AEV is a permanent attachment to the roll bars and while you can remove the freedom panels with it in place it would be a pain to remove the rear portion of the hard top with the AEV in place.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Gobi would be a pain to remove, go with a trailer
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2 door JK with a Gobi. It's not easy to remove the hardtop but it does slide rearward under the rack for removal. Obviously you can't use a hoist to lift it.

I do have to remove the shovel and ax brackets before sliding out the hardtop. Also, it's best to remove the rubber bumpers from the hardtop where it meets the Freedom Tops to get extra clearance.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you really need to decide, rack or no rack. Taking it on and off is a real pain. I love mine. I have a high lift jack, fog lights, rotpax fuel mount and container and an ARB awning.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skibovr6
The M416 trailers are very hard to find. But if you do find one tell me about it. I have been looking for one in great shape.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Im curious also. Is there a roof rack system out there that allows removal of the hard top? Is there one easier then others?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Perhaps the Surco rack?

Surco Safari Hardtop Rack for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm using a Yakima roof rack that stays on the hardtop all the time. My hoist in my garage actually attaches to the rack to get the hard top off. What are you going to use the rack for? I only use mine for bikes, skis and a cargo box. I don't put that much weight on it and the span of the rack is not very long. It is definitely limited because of how I have it set up but it does work for what I need it to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120224_144023-a.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	415731

Quick Reply: Roof rack question