Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof rack options for hard top

Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't see the big deal, you have to drill your roof with all of them, its just the way they line up that's different. the others will decrease you milage because of wind resistance were as the NEBO will not as its just two rails going lengthwise. No wind noise, or anything when not using cross bars. and 1/2 the cost of the rest as well.

I was looking at going with the rhino rack, but there would be 6 stupid little pads always on my roof when the platform was off. I didn't want to keep the platform on all the time since it would reduce range when not needed and wind noise would be greater. I never wanted the MBRP, as I don't like the huge bars hanging down the sides of my jeep. Just not attractive to me. The teraflex fit the bill when not using platforms, racks for bikes or kayaks its as quiet as my factory patriot rack, no exta wind resistance, and just looks great on the roof. once installed the rack can be used to suspend the hard top from for storage. put the two freedom panels inside the rail and hook on to the rack, and up she goes for softtop weather.

Last edited by Kojack; 03-24-2016 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
I don't see the big deal, you have to drill your roof with all of them, its just the way they line up that's different. the others will decrease you milage because of wind resistance were as the NEBO will not as its just two rails going lengthwise. No wind noise, or anything when not using cross bars. and 1/2 the cost of the rest as well. I was looking at going with the rhino rack, but there would be 6 stupid little pads always on my roof when the platform was off. I didn't want to keep the platform on all the time since it would reduce range when not needed and wind noise would be greater. I never wanted the MBRP, as I don't like the huge bars hanging down the sides of my jeep. Just not attractive to me. The teraflex fit the bill when not using platforms, racks for bikes or kayaks its as quiet as my factory patriot rack, no exta wind resistance, and just looks great on the roof. once installed the rack can be used to suspend the hard top from for storage. put the two freedom panels inside the rail and hook on to the rack, and up she goes for softtop weather.
I see what you are saying. Honestly not to worried about the range. The only time the hard top will be on is when I'm going on a road trip or need building material for the house. The kayak and luggage carrier on top it's not going to be aerodynamic anyway lol. I do like the design of the Nebo except the bulky plastic blocks on the inside . The rhino rack has the support bars tucked to the side windows out of the way. And i feel with the supports on the outer edge instead of down the center section might be a little stronger. But the price does effect the decision too.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Range is important with us, we do a lot of long distance runs with no pit stops in between. The Teraflex can take 850lbs static and 215 active load. That's enough for a roof top tent, and 2 people no problem. what more would you put there?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4002926610.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	641703 Found some Yakima track 6 ft track sections on Craigslist. Cut it down and used the left over section as backer inside the hardtop. Two trips through rubicon and Moab wheeling with no issues. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4236357454.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	641704

Name:	image-992813779.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	581.8 KB
ID:	641705

Last edited by orangedude71; 03-24-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

I started with the HD Whispbar gutter mount racks. I wasn't happy with the way they clamped to the gutters on the removable panels. In December I installed the Yakima track system and changed out the mounting feet on my Whispbars. Pretty easy to remove the racks and the tracks are discrete.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

i've seen thule on a few jku"s it should do the trick
Old 03-28-2016, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Have you guys seen the write ups for adding the stock Jeep Cherokee roof racks to the hardtop. Cheap, easy and effective.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rescu2000
Have you guys seen the write ups for adding the stock Jeep Cherokee roof racks to the hardtop. Cheap, easy and effective.
I think the guys name is ludsky. He has a video on YouTube about this.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Used Thule rack system and made my own basket. Basket slides in track
Built my own because I wanted it more low profile

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	642312
Old 03-31-2016, 12:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostjku0910
... Maybe looking at a roof tent in future so I might as well be prepared if I can swing it
Then you need a real rack that transfers weight off of the roof to a stronger part of the vehicle. And you want your top removable: That leaves out AEV, which may be why you haven't mentioned it. And it leaves out any that just bolt through the top: The top is not very strong by itself--certainly not weight bearing at all except for the very lightest things.

I have the MBRP rack, with basket, front extension and with mods to accommodate an AEV snorkel and a second spare tire. This is on a 2007. If you just have the basic rack--no extension or basket--then your swapping of the top will be fairly easy. But, it's a heavy rack. When I swap mine (with the basket, without the extension which is removed separately), then it takes four people to handle the top. It's not really any extra time than removal without the rack, just extra people. Removing the extension and mods is a half hour, but you may not need any of them. If you have a winch to remove the top in your garage, then it will be easy. Probably even easier, since the MBRP rack can be used to pull the top off. I have a rack to store the top in the garage standing up (takes up less space), but with the rack it tends to want to roll over backwards--not good. I crushed one of the wheels on that rack, so I've ended up using blocks of wood to keep it upright.

My biggest complaint about the rack is the quality of the powdercoat. It's horrible. It is so thin that it has started flaking off in places. Yes, I've had it for a few years, but I've had my Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails for even longer, and they show no hints of rust through the powdercoat. But, they are black semigloss powdercoat, not krinkle finish. I was told the krinkle finish is typically thinner and not as durable, and I'm here to attest that has been my experience. With the MBRP rack, however, you get no choice for finish.

Other than that, I really like the rack. It's practical and can carry a huge load. As for wind noise, I really didn't notice any until I added the extension and moved the overhead lights up above the windshield. With that, I notice wind noise only when it's windy, I'm driving into it, at highway speeds. Other times I really don't notice it. But I don't expect Cadillac-quiet in my Jeep, either.

With mod for AEV snorkel, and mod to carry second spare partly complete (now I don't need to use a cargo strap to secure the tire--I have a screw plate that centers the tire and holds it down).

Name:	NMxSW, Mar 14, R7_0485, Mark's Jeep.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	642319

Just the basic rack and basket ...

Name:	AZ-CA-WA Trip, Mar-Apr 12, 3629, Canyon de Chelly (8x10 crop).jpg
Views:	325
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	642320

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-31-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Roof rack options for hard top