Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof Rack Load Capacity (Off-Road)

Old 07-05-2022, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Swooperz
It's a year later but I wanted to reply that I also had this exact thing happen to me today, which is the second time it has happened. It's that single bolt that rips upward and out of the nut that it screws into. It really seems like a horrible design. I have the exact same setup as the OP.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround such as a longer bolt being used? Does anyone know if the Pioneer system would be better? It seems that its connection points to the hardtop utilize three bolts from what I have been able to find on the Googles.

Thanks,
Alan
Interesting. These are the first two failures of the Backbone that I've found. Was yours also on a two door? Did you have a RTT up there? The Pioneer trays on 2drs are mounted in the same way as the crossbars, total of four mounting points, so it isn't going to improve. My thought would be to drill them out and retap at a larger bolt size, but I'm not sure how great of an idea that is/how much benefit you'd really get.

The failure above looks to be a result of poor center of gravity, that RTT has way too much weight out front which creates a lifting force on the rear crossbar. Whatever shop installed that should be ashamed.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Load Capacity (Off-Road)