Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof rack idea

Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rack idea

since im probably never going to get around to this in the near future i wanted to share what i have come up with for a roof rack/ light bar combination. something to solve my issues with fitment since im running a river raiders snorkel.

if you would like to view the rack in 3D go to Google sketchup's web site, download the free version and then PM me an ill send you the file.

heres the pics

This would but built out of aluminum square tubing and have expanded aluminum sheets (what we all use for the grill mod) as a deck. my thinking behind the 2 baskets was 1. i like the look of a lower 8" ish deep front basket with a 12"-14" ish deep basket up behind it and 2. the deeper back basket will hold bulkyer cargo more sequrely, the front portion of the rear basket can hold bags snugly under the angled part of it and the front basket can be used for what ever else i dunno.

the front of the rack would attach to a custom light bar, which is actually a borrowed idea from someone else here on the forum. the light bar attaches via windshield brackets, whats not show in what i have done so far is on the passenger side the tubing for the light bar would need to come up along the windshield then bend 90 degrees in and then 90 back up then 90 back in and across to the other side, this allows the light bar to clear my RR snorkel.

the light bar would have two clamp style latches that would latch down on the rack to lok it in place.

Top view showing the cross members, picture a sheet of expanded aluminum welded on this.

detail view of the rear upper hinge. this in conguntion with the lower hinge allow the removal of the soft top. the upper hinge would also be able to flip the rack 180 degreese and turn into a 'shelter' of sorts

lower hinge detail. only allows the rack to rock back a little, then it could be fliped over and proped up to create an awning.

lower mount. consisting of a plate welded to the lower hinge assembly and would attach near the outer edeges of a bumper. a lower plate with bolts attached would esentialy clamp the rack down. for a metal bumper i would just weld it to it.

this is just a start, im still changing things around and tweaking what i have here so far plus adding new stuff as i go. any and all constructive critisisum is welcome and encouraged.

bonus pics

again i can send anyone with google sketchup the file so they can look at it in 3D (if i do end up sending it none of the measurements are exact i did this by eye with a 6' human silhouette to judge every thing off of, the only thing relatively close to being the right scale is the size and shape of the windshield bracket i did up.)

Last edited by JdTms11; 01-14-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda reminds me of the racks i see on some landrovers, but thats not a bad thing. Great sketches and i think that rack would look sick!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wild Boar Rack

Does anyone have the wild boar rack. Or has anyone seen them in person. Just looking for some feed back on them. Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

reminds me of an xterra....how does it secure to the front bar?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Good Looking rack man... when you do eventually get around it I would love to see pics... that is kinda the same look I wanted on mine. The only thing I wanted to do was for the lower front rack I wanted to try and do a quick disconnect of some sort for the support on the bottom so just the bars on the outside are left... that way when you have just part of the roof off you have a unrestricted view.

Last edited by brandonbooth; 01-14-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JackMac4
reminds me of an xterra....how does it secure to the front bar?
the front of it would have two tensioning latches that are mounted to the light bar, so when you fold the rack down onto the light bar you would latch down on two tabs on the rack, ive been drawing this up in sketchup so when its done ill throw it up here.

Originally Posted by eisenjj
Got an estimate on how much it would cost to construct? Nice design, btw! One could probably take a chunk off of the cost by using steel tube(round) and doing bends in certain spots...just some ideas.
cost wise if i were to use 6063 1.5" aluminum square tubing it would be roughly 300 maybe less to build the rack, then add in the cost of a cut to size sheet of expanded aluminum, tubing for the rear supports and light bar, bearings for the hinges and thicker aluminum plate for the mounting brackets... probably in the ballpark of about 450-600 maybe thats not including the cost of having it built for me unless i luck out and find someone i know that could do this for me.

the only reason why i wanted to go with aluminum was to keep it light

Last edited by JdTms11; 01-14-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I like to see someone working on their own creation. Very nice sketch! My Brother in law and I are working on a 2dr x7 no drill lightbar and quick release no drill 1/2 basket very soon. Us 2dr. guys are limited space when looking to go on camping runs with sufficient gear. Here is a quick mock up of our idea, sorry mine are not as high quality as yours.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Nice schematics. Good Luck.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
I like to see someone working on their own creation. Very nice sketch! My Brother in law and I are working on a 2dr x7 no drill lightbar and quick release no drill 1/2 basket very soon. Us 2dr. guys are limited space when looking to go on camping runs with sufficient gear. Here is a quick mock up of our idea, sorry mine are not as high quality as yours.

That is a REAL sharp lookin' JK!!

VERY cool!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Both of those ideas look awesome! Be very cool to see it come to life.

Quick Reply: Roof rack idea