Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof Rack

Old 03-18-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice light bar - like it!

Not to hijack, but where did you get your lightbar set-up? Very nice - any details?

QUOTE=Christine;2171407]I've got the Kargo cage and matching rack. Works great for me.

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious, are these roof racks 'pseudo permanent' installs, or can you take them on and off at need?

I would love to get one, but probably wouldn't want it as a permanent daily addition to the jeep, nor would I want gaping drill holes in the side of the jeep either.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

There are a few companies that do make purely bolt on racks for those people who dont want to drill into their jeep. If you do a search youll find em, me though, I love the MBRP one which is what i'll eventually get unless i find something better for me. I like the idea that when the hard top comes off, the rack comes off too. Chances are, if i dont have the top i dont want to carry crap.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gobi Rack... No drilling - direct bolt on... Will provide many years of use!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

How lengthy is the Gobi install/uninstall? 10 minute thing or couple hours?

The only person I have to help take the top off is the wife, and god knows its hard enough without a gigantic roof rack weighing down on the process.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quad_hopper
I'm looking at putting a basket style rack on my Jeep. Does anyone have this unit on their JK? http://www.quadratec.com/products/12041_3001.htm

I want something for camping, I currently have a mattress for the back of my Jeep for sleeping and take all my camping gear inside. I want to be able to put stuff on the rack but not sure if this unit is the way to go. I want to be able to take the freedom top panels off so that's why this one is appealing to me. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
You have all the points that I am looking in the new roof rack for my Unlimited. Make sure that it is only goes up 'till front freedom panels. Being able to remove freedom panel easily without unbolting any other nuts or bolst.
I've spend a loooot of time researching this topic. The rack you provided link to is great size rack, however, you will need to unbolt the rear of the rack before you'll be able to take off your freedom top. I even send email to Garvin asking them if it is possible to use tracks for the rear portion of this rack they said no, its not possible.
The track rack from the Garvin is another option, and I almost bought it, however, after reviewing many photos and its specks I decided that this rack is too small to feet enough camping staff. And quite honestly it looks as it came from some other much smaller car and slapped on a jeep (IMO).
Your other choice is MBRP, though, I am not that big of fan of this rack either.
The only one that I found that would answer to all of the requirements is Front Runner roof rack, but so far I was not able to find much of the reviews on that rack.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

I really like the GOBI rack. However, I'm in Canada, and they don't seem to ship or sell to Canada. I could be wrong, does anyone know? I've researched lots and I haven't found anything that says different.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

heres mine with wild boar rack. really love it, install wasnt too difficult but if you are looking for a permanent rack, and price wasnt too bad either, check out the wild boar rack.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

No ideas on where to get the Gobi rack in Canada?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quad hopper check your email I sent you a message...hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack