Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roller fairlead with rope?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally think that steel unused rollers are the better option, the poly ones just don't seem strong enough. I have never used them though. I am glad you brought rollers up, cause I think most guys think if you run synth. you have to run a hawse. I have even heard a couple 'necks around here claiming that a synth line will hang up in a roller. not true at all.

Are you using poly or steel rollers wol?

Cuople things. The steel rollers have spaces on the top and bottom of them which creates a gap and you have to be very careful that your rope on certain pulls does not get pinched in those gaps. Sounds uncommon but it actually does happen.

The Poly rollers are pretty sweet they are really solid and they take up that gap.

David
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Cuople things. The steel rollers have spaces on the top and bottom of them which creates a gap and you have to be very careful that your rope on certain pulls does not get pinched in those gaps. Sounds uncommon but it actually does happen.

The Poly rollers are pretty sweet they are really solid and they take up that gap.

David
those rednecks were right???? dammit! lol. I just did not see how it could fit between the rollers... o well. I been wrong before. Have you heard of any poly ones breaking or anything? I am sure the bolt running through it is grade 8 or whatever.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you heard of any poly ones breaking or anything? I am sure the bolt running through it is grade 8 or whatever.
I would have to say breaking a poly one would be impossible I realize nothing is impossible but this may be close.

You reuse the hardware that your roller uses so I doubt you will break those either.

you can see in this picture this is all the kit comes with and is all you need.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=DS-ROLLERS

David
Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running these with my synthetic rope on one of my Jeeps. Why these for $40 and not the billet hawse fairlead for a few bucks more? Because I saved my original steel winch cable for a spare so if I happen to break my synthetic rope, I might need to switch back to the steel one and due to the fact that I have to pull my winch from the bumper to get at the backside of the fairlead mounting bolts, it's way easier to just swap rollers if I would do a cable changeout.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by havejeepwilloffroad
I'm running these with my synthetic rope on one of my Jeeps. Why these for $40 and not the billet hawse fairlead for a few bucks more? Because I saved my original steel winch cable for a spare so if I happen to break my synthetic rope, I might need to switch back to the steel one and due to the fact that I have to pull my winch from the bumper to get at the backside of the fairlead mounting bolts, it's way easier to just swap rollers if I would do a cable changeout.
great point
Old 09-07-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

http://my.project-jk.com/uploads/214...15roolers2.jpg

They cut somewhat ez...this was on a side pull and not even that hard of a pull.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

whats the benifit of rope?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RyanBlack321
It's about 35 to 40 lbs lighter than steel line and if it breaks it just fall to the ground versus steel that can snap back and cause damage..
Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RyanBlack321
Steel winch line stores a lot of kinetic energy so when it breaks there is a high chance of injury or damaging of the vehicle. Synthetic line has more of a dead-snap so when it does break it drops to the ground without the threat of launching through your radiator, or worse, your body.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

I have the viking synthetic rollers. Very happy with them. I also had the fairlead powder coated in black (cost $20 and looks sweet).

Quick Reply: Roller fairlead with rope?