Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rolled my stock '15 Rubi. Considering upgrades to drivetrain for future lift/35's

Old 10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled my stock '15 Rubi. Considering upgrades to drivetrain for future lift/35's

I rolled my '15 Rubicon last night. Just tipped on the side, but there's some damage and I thought it would be a great chance to upgrade to some beefier axles/flanges, etc in preparation for a lift and 35's or 37's. I am not sure about what damage is there yet, but I know there is slight wobbling in the tires and they also pulled pretty hard on a few spots to tip it back over.

I'm posting here because I'm not too knowledgeable about those sorts of drivetrain-related things and would hope I could get some suggestions on at least things to consider looking into. There's so much to upgrade on a Jeep and I don't want to get over-sold on unnecessary upgrades from the local shop. I will eventually do the research into items but I'm neck deep in making the claim and rental cars not to mention regular daily work, so some suggestions on what areas to look at would be appreciated.

It is my daily driver and I will continue to wheel it but nothing extreme. I'll be putting on a 3"-4" Teraflex or AEV lift and aiming towards 35's... but now that I may beef up the drivetrain, I might consider 37's

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what drivetrain areas and/or products to look at? I'll upgrade the suspension and tires later but I have a good idea of what I want for that stuff already.
Thanks

Last edited by triguy; 10-06-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: left info out.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Honestly, you can run 35s with a 2.5" lift or budget boost. Heck, you can squeeze 37s with some better fenders or trimmed fenders. Going up in the air and up in tire size will bring out the demons off road though. If your insurance company is picking up the tab, throw a set of Pro Rock axles under it, a 3" lift, some good fenders (I like the PSC Aluminum crusher flares) some nice wheels and some 35 or 37" tires of your choice!

If the axles are OK, get a 3" lift and 35's and be done with her! The jump to 37's puts a whole new world of hurt on gear ratios and damage potential...

i am really impressed with the Old Man Emu suspension...I run the HD 2.5 kit and 35" BFG AT KO2s...love it!

Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-06-2016, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

What drivetrain upgrades are you referring to? The suspension is not part of the drivetrain and that is all you have listed.

If running 37's is planned I would look into a full float rear axle and re gear the front 44 and run a 8x6 adapter.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 10-06-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
What drivetrain upgrades are you referring to? The suspension is not part of the drivetrain and that is all you have listed.

If running 37's is planned I would look into a full float rear axle and re gear the front 44 and run a 8x6 adapter.
Right now I'm just asking about drivetrain items like axles, flanges, gussets. I've heard and read of those things being mentioned when talking to the local shops or reading online, but have just never looked into them. I mention the lift and tires because I'll move that direction later but have a pretty good idea of what i want there.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

What trail did you roll it on? I'm in Denver...
Old 10-07-2016, 02:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by triguy
I rolled my '15 Rubicon last night.

I will continue to wheel it but nothing extreme. I'll be putting on a 3"-4" Teraflex or AEV lift and aiming towards 35's... but now that I may beef up the drivetrain, I might consider 37's

Thanks
I love this. Your obvious wheeling harder stuff than 99% of Jeep owners already! Most Jeeps will never take a dirt nap! Your 1 year old Jeep already felt sleepy and took a dirt nap! I'd hate to see what you do when you decide to get serious! (I'll knock on wood and hope to never have my Jeep so sleepy that it decides to roll over and take a nap!)
Old 10-07-2016, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

My favorite part about this thread is that if you were to get the Cliffs Notes from the OP's post, it would read:
"I just rolled my new Rubi, so I want to lift it up higher!"

Please don't mistake my sarcasm for smack talk. Its early, I'm sleepy and it just read kind of funny. Good luck with your upgrades.

Quick Reply: Rolled my stock '15 Rubi. Considering upgrades to drivetrain for future lift/35's