Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

roll cage - custom weld or bolt in?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepwave
How much would you expect a custom cage to bring me up to? I am searching high and low for prices lol I know it all depends on what you get but let's say I get the front and rear with grab handles, windshield down bars, b pillars and harness bars.

I want to make sure the poly kit is a good price for the kit installed and it isn't just a better idea for me to get a fully custom kit
I don't think you will see a price less than $4K for a custom cage that has "through the dash" A pillars, frame mounts and the other items you mention. I was quoted about $5k for a completely custom cage by an experienced fabricator here in Georgia. You end up with a superior product but I went with the Synergy cage and don't feel I missed out on much.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdawg
... I went with the Synergy cage and don't feel I missed out on much.
Looks awesome. Did you do it yourself? Can't seem to find an estimate for the hours/labor required for installation.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tcdawg
I don't think you will see a price less than $4K for a custom cage that has "through the dash" A pillars, frame mounts and the other items you mention. I was quoted about $5k for a completely custom cage by an experienced fabricator here in Georgia. You end up with a superior product but I went with the Synergy cage and don't feel I missed out on much.
Sweet photos. I've decided to go with synergy. It seems like the best cage for what I need it to do
Old 01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cfr
Looks awesome. Did you do it yourself? Can't seem to find an estimate for the hours/labor required for installation.
I was quoted $3200 including 13% worth of taxes for the price or the synergy kit and install.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much would you expect a custom cage to bring me up to? I am searching high and low for prices lol I know it all depends on what you get but let's say I get the front and rear with grab handles, windshield down bars, b pillars and harness bars.

I want to make sure the poly kit is a good price for the kit installed and it isn't just a better idea for me to get a fully custom kit
So I had a full custom cage done before poly came out with theirs. It's very similar in concept. Through dash, hvac and speakers kept, frame tie ins, both hard and soft top compatible, functional rear seat for adults, etc. My cost was $3500.

Shaffer's Offroad JK Cage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Another point on the sports vs full custom decision process that I don't think was brought up. When I was originally deciding between the two, I realized I wasn't too concerned about a sports cage handling the rock crawling trail flop/slow roll over. What lead me to a full cage was rather an accident/flip at road speeds heading to the trail.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RRauzer
So I had a full custom cage done before poly came out with theirs. It's very similar in concept. Through dash, hvac and speakers kept, frame tie ins, both hard and soft top compatible, functional rear seat for adults, etc. My cost was $3500.

Shaffer's Offroad JK Cage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Another point on the sports vs full custom decision process that I don't think was brought up. When I was originally deciding between the two, I realized I wasn't too concerned about a sports cage handling the rock crawling trail flop/slow roll over. What lead me to a full cage was rather an accident/flip at road speeds heading to the trail.
Good points brought up on the weld in vs sport cage! Thanks for sharing that thing looks like it will definitely handle an accident of that type!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

This may seem like a silly question but is it necessary to have a Poly DIY kit installed by a qualified mechanic?

Assuming I have a friend with a tig welder who is experienced in welding, who can help me out...is this truly a DIY for anyone?

If I could save th money on install I would like to...

Also, read up on instructions and the frame tie in looks like it's gonna be in the way of my poison spyder rocker knockers. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you trust your friends welding and feel confident you guys can throw it together there's no need to go to a certified mechanic.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joe_B
As long as you trust your friends welding and feel confident you guys can throw it together there's no need to go to a certified mechanic.
Thanks for the reply
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 PM
JK Freak

This may seem like a silly question but is it necessary to have a Poly DIY kit installed by a qualified mechanic? Assuming I have a friend with a tig welder who is experienced in welding, who can help me out...is this truly a DIY for anyone? If I could save th money on install I would like to... Also, read up on instructions and the frame tie in looks like it's gonna be in the way of my poison spyder rocker knockers. Anyone have experience with this?
If your friend is a TIG welder go for it, if he just "has" one let someone who is certified do the job.

Quick Reply: roll cage - custom weld or bolt in?