Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

roll cage - custom weld or bolt in?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think planmans right....just for peace of mind do a synergy weld in....

I've done rock hard cages and synergy cages for people the synergy is by FAR my favorite cage hands down for all the prefab stuff....
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
A better start might be a question from me, how often do you expect to roll and what kind of wheeling will it occur in? I think the "sport" cages cover most of what a guy in a JK would put himself into. Now if you're a bit more on the hardcore side... sure, go full custom, as no 'kit' will suffice.
This sounds like some pretty sound advice to me. I have a friend who recently bought a Poison Spyder bolt in cage and she's having a local fabricator weld it and tie it into her frame.

I've run a OR-Fab for some time now running some tough trails. For most of what I do it should offer the protection needed as a matter of fact my friends who have taken a nap on the trail all had sport cages and none where harmed.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone tell me what's involved with the synergy cage?

Is it basically just a weld in cage that ties in with the stock cage or would I need to have the stock cage cut out?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
This sounds like some pretty sound advice to me. I have a friend who recently bought a Poison Spyder bolt in cage and she's having a local fabricator weld it and tie it into her frame. I've run a OR-Fab for some time now running some tough trails. For most of what I do it should offer the protection needed as a matter of fact my friends who have taken a nap on the trail all had sport cages and none where harmed.

Would really like to see what the posion spyder looks like when welded in.

So far I am leaning toward synergy or poison spyder
Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BRUT4CE's correction is probably spot on (on my post).

If you are rock crawling, you are going slow, so getting a cage as good as Nascar isn't relevant. But... wanting to be safe, why not go all out? Well.. money for one.

The sport cages come in many flavors... some better than others. The Rockhard isn't bad, the Poly much better... but none a real cage yet. Weld in requires a welder... is that you or is it an additional cost? Might make a difference in your decision.

One could take the Poly cage and beef it up.... mate it to the frame, add triangulation and gussets, but still, you have a sport cage and probably spent close to custom at that point.

So... from what I am gathering, mild to moderate wheeling in the rocks? No plans or thoughts on rolling? I think a sports cage might be up your alley.

And it might seem funny about the rolling question, as in who expects to/wants to/whatever.... but it is apt to this discussion. I ran the RockHard version for some time and rolled more than I can count on one hand in that setup.... always felt safe and the cage held up. These were all flops.... the rolls that PLANMAN speak of would want me in something more. All depends on where and how you wheel... a roll can happen to anyone on any terrain (I've witnessed folks roll on flat ground going slow!), but obviously, some spots are more prone to getting over than others.

Another item to consider is the requirements of custom.... are you willing to cut things, reduce interior comfort, etc?

Also.... posted this trail rating system I found in another thread and folks didn't seem to care for it, as it is best suited for rock crawling, not overland/mud/???. But... we are talking rocks, right? So... take a look see and tell me if you are still 7/8.... I might change my opinion on your needs.... be honest, it's your time and money we are talking about.

EDIT: forgot the link.

Last edited by ABENDX; 01-05-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepwave
Would really like to see what the posion spyder looks like when welded in.

So far I am leaning toward synergy or poison spyder
I'm going to try and work with the shop to get pics and will post them up.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
my friends who have taken a nap on the trail.
I see what you did there...

I must have narcolepsy. lol
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepwave
Could anyone tell me what's involved with the synergy cage?

Is it basically just a weld in cage that ties in with the stock cage or would I need to have the stock cage cut out?
If you go on Synergy's website they have a PDF of the installation instructions that will show you exactly what is involved.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ABENDX
BRUT4CE's correction is probably spot on (on my post). If you are rock crawling, you are going slow, so getting a cage as good as Nascar isn't relevant. But... wanting to be safe, why not go all out? Well.. money for one. The sport cages come in many flavors... some better than others. The Rockhard isn't bad, the Poly much better... but none a real cage yet. Weld in requires a welder... is that you or is it an additional cost? Might make a difference in your decision. One could take the Poly cage and beef it up.... mate it to the frame, add triangulation and gussets, but still, you have a sport cage and probably spent close to custom at that point. So... from what I am gathering, mild to moderate wheeling in the rocks? No plans or thoughts on rolling? I think a sports cage might be up your alley. And it might seem funny about the rolling question, as in who expects to/wants to/whatever.... but it is apt to this discussion. I ran the RockHard version for some time and rolled more than I can count on one hand in that setup.... always felt safe and the cage held up. These were all flops.... the rolls that PLANMAN speak of would want me in something more. All depends on where and how you wheel... a roll can happen to anyone on any terrain (I've witnessed folks roll on flat ground going slow!), but obviously, some spots are more prone to getting over than others. Another item to consider is the requirements of custom.... are you willing to cut things, reduce interior comfort, etc? Also.... posted this trail rating system I found in another thread and folks didn't seem to care for it, as it is best suited for rock crawling, not overland/mud/???. But... we are talking rocks, right? So... take a look see and tell me if you are still 7/8.... I might change my opinion on your needs.... be honest, it's your time and money we are talking about. EDIT: forgot the link.
Thanks for the chart. Judging by the description I would probably usually find myself around the 7 rating.

No I'm not a welder so I would require additional costs but to be honest I am not worried about spending money when it comes to my saftey. I'm not looking to save a few bucks at the sacrifice of harming myself.

If a bolt in sort cage or the poly weld in that just ties in the frame is going to be good enough then by all means I am up for getting them. But I do want to make sure that I dont need a custom cage.

Thanks for all the help, all this info is appreciated.

Still wondering though if I weld the poly performance isn't it just the same as a bolt in? The mounts are bolted anyways? Or is it that it's welded to my existing cage as opposed to Bolted like the others?

I also heard that genright is coming up with a cage for the jk.

Does anyone know what price I would be looking at for a custom weld in cage ?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=jeepwave;3802190Does anyone know what price I would be looking at for a custom weld in cage ?[/QUOTE]

Way too many variables here to get you in the ballpark. Custom work is just that and your needs may be different than mine. So what one guy paid isn't necessarily what you will.

Put together a design, get a quote or two, then come back and see what the masses think about your deal.

And saving a dime or two doesn't have to mean you have to skimp... just means you shop smarter than the next guy.

If money truly is no problem.... go custom. I don't feel you need it from my understanding so far, but it certainly can't hurt going full retard when it comes to this.

Last edited by ABENDX; 01-05-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: roll cage - custom weld or bolt in?