Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rockhard skids or interior front cage?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rockhard skids or interior front cage?

I'd like to do a interior cage for the front of the jk but I'd like some more protection underneath.
We do run trails that are nasty rocks and rolling over is always a possability but so is trashing everything underneath.

It is either the interior or a full underneath kit, which would you do first.

I'm pretty open either way but what seems to make the most sense, I have my opinions but input would be nice.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel skids would be better first so you don't destroy everything underneath. Your more likely to need your skids on a daily bases. My skids are trashed from constant use but beefing up my cage is definitely on the list
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Nicknowles22
I feel skids would be better first so you don't destroy everything underneath. Your more likely to need your skids on a daily bases. My skids are trashed from constant use but beefing up my cage is definitely on the list
Yeah my stock skids are hammered but still going. I then consider that my stockers will hold for a bit more and if I flip the cage would be nice. The skids would definently be a every time use the cage would probably be a never or 1 time in years use....skids and cage scan save a hit that's a game over for the day so they both are pretty important.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd say it depends on which side you plan on facing down more often.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by r3cluse
I'd say it depends on which side you plan on facing down more often.
Seeing as I have neither I can only suggest Skids for their more likely use but you can't disagree with the extra personal safety the cage provides...either way I love what r3cluse said.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

IF the threat of roll over is that high when you are offroading then it kind of feels like a no brainer to me.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Factory skids are more than sufficient. If anything, a simple oil pan skid like the Rancho which slides over the stock engine pan will protect those vitals. The aftermarket full underbody systems have proven to be unnecessary. Systems like the Rockhard and River Raider are difficult to remove on the trail in the event of needed repairs between the skid and underside of the jeep. They can trap more heat than is needed under there too.

The sport cage is always a plus if you wheel hard enough to think you may flop at some point. It does add some needed protection and will stiffen the body which can see a good bit of flexing over time on rough trails.

In the video link below, all of our jeeps are running the factory skids and a version of an oil pan skid and that's it.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-videos...run-highlights

Last edited by GCM 2; 09-21-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by BigSteve
IF the threat of roll over is that high when you are offroading then it kind of feels like a no brainer to me.
How well does the stock cage hold in a slow speed roll over, single roll situation most likely.
Would be slow and more than likely large rocks, more than likely side landing.

Plan is to do both eventually....

Quick Reply: rockhard skids or interior front cage?