Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rocker guards with steps that wont break the bank.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker guards with steps that wont break the bank.

Hey folks was jus wondering if anyone has any experiance with rocker armor that can also be used as a step but won't cost me 700 bucks! I really don't like my side steps and considered taking them off but then had a thought....rocker armor that looks good....is functional and can be used as a step. So far I've found two...rugged ridge and smittybuilt. The smittybuilt seems like they may stick out more than the stock step,although I haven't seen a real pic of them...just in a catalog. So what do you folks think, any other suggestions?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

ace.
had the smittys on my last jeep. i liked them. the front hole needed to be enlarged. drill with a big bit fixed that. but most people like the ace ones for the price. you might get free shipping from some of the vendors here.
Click image for larger version

Name:	25469464556.320044906.IM1.08.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	310658

Last edited by olram30; 04-29-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

I got some bare steel Or-Fab rocker armor (they gave me a great deal on them) and I am having some tube bent to make a step/pivot point. $20 for the steel tube, a case of Dr. Pepper for the bends, and getting my father-in-law to weld it all up. I might even have a friend with a plasma cutter cut me out a flat piece of 1/4" plate to fill the gap between the tube and the rocker.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm using the T&T Customs rock sliders. They are pretty rock solid, and mount to the frame.

Jeep JK Rocker protection
Old 04-29-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the Smittybilt SRC side armor like that pictured above. Works great as a step, but if you need clearance these aren't the ones to get. The lower tube hangs down a fair amount.

The NFab Nerf bars are nice if you want a simple side step.

Rico Steps are my current favorites.. They are PSC DIY sliders with a small step and it welds on to stock Rubi Rails.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

ACE is what's for me. Got those smittybuilts; they didn't need any modification to get them on or off. took them off to sell them...
Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ace rails. Best price and very solid. I use them as a step and cant believe how rock solid they are using only 2 bolts per. All i've read are good things about them on the forums...lifetime guarantee and great service. Cant gp wrong with these!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get near rocks at all, i would recomend sliders thar bolt or weld to the frame. The rr the smitty and the ace, i have seen all 3 brands flex into the body panels under load. You will not see that from lod or evo. Never seen the tnt customs listed earlier, though they look good
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm happy with my Body Armour 4x4 rails. Bit of a pain to install but happy with the final result. Solid plate and tube construction attaches to pinch seam with five bolts on each side and have a nice smooth profile underneath.
Good value for money at about $340 from memory.
You'll find my install tips under Write Ups on this forum.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM
JK Junkie

I've been looking hard at armor and rock rails...is there something that doesn't require drilling holes that provides real protection?

I was really liking the ACE ones...

Matthew

Quick Reply: Rocker guards with steps that wont break the bank.