Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ROCK SOLID Mounting Bracket For iPad RAM MOUNT

Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ROCK SOLID Mounting Bracket For iPad RAM MOUNT

After installing my iPad via a RAM Mount locking mount I was happy with everything except the bracket. By comparison to the rest of the mount the bracket is flimsy and allows the iPad too much horizontal movement, especially over bumps and slightly rougher terrain. I went to work trying to find a suitable bracket, expecting to have to manufacture one myself. A few days ago I came across this mount:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012TRIY4/

It's meant to attach a Garmin Nuvi to a motorcycle via the mirror mount. Now close to where I need the source of my iPad mount to be is my passenger grab handle, just above the glove box on my 07. I replaced the stock handle a couple of years ago with a Drake billet handle which is a very solid piece of kit but I think this mod would also work with the stock handle. The bolt on the drake set was not quite long enough (by 2mm) to allow me to mount the RAM Mirror ball but with a little drilling I managed to counter sink the bolt head a couple of mms into the mirror ball 9mm hole and that was just enough for the bolt to grab and tighten. This has created a rock solid bracket on which to mount my iPad. The only problem I have now is the long arm I ordered to work with this setup needs the 1" ball also mounted on the iPad locking device itself. At the moment it has a slightly smaller one so I'll order another in. This however will completely eradicate any major movement and it also means you don't need to drill any holes in your dash, which many will appreciate. Hope that helps someone. Here's a couple of pics to help you make sense of the ramble above:

Last edited by UKCRD; 04-08-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

BTW, if anyone wants to put a mounting ball on their windscreen pillar in one of the two stock holes with bolts, this one will work beautifully:

RAM MOTORCYCLE FORK STEM MOUNT: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If you look at he ball mount on this pic:

you'll see it has a stem. That stem fits perfectly into the pillar hole.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love those Ram Mounts, they're so versatile
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

And here's the finished product:

This is ROCK SOLID and I'd say as good as it gets for an iPad that's installed externally in this way.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UKCRD
And here's the finished product: This is ROCK SOLID and I'd say as good as it gets for an iPad that's installed externally in this way.
Is that the Ram suction cup mount with the suction cup part removed?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RangerRubi
Is that the Ram suction cup mount with the suction cup part removed?
No, see the link in the OP.

Quick Reply: ROCK SOLID Mounting Bracket For iPad RAM MOUNT